clutch hub stud installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clutch hub stud installation

I broke a stud on my clutch hub. My clutch was grabbing when i put into gear so i decided to look into the problem. I took it apart and found a nut had come off one of the studs. I have a five stud setup..Clutch was really gummed up and stuck together. I have the new stud. i believe it has to peened over. is there a special tool to do this? Thanks

Yes, Luvmyshovels!

The commercial catalog offering is known to shatter the threads when the other end is peened.

In fact, I have VT #16-0145 in stock (NOS, but very soiled packaging.)

I'd happily sell it to you cheap, but you are far better off finding an OEM triple-stud hub, even if worn. (Ever try to level a five-legged table?)

....Cotten
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

I took a piece of steel stock, drilled it to a depth so the stud would bottom out, (the amount the stud sticks out of the hub when inserted), then peen the backside like you would peen anything else. I hold the steel stock in a vise with it bottomed out on the vise mounting table or ? depending on you setup, make sure the hub is held tight against the steel stock during initial peening to insure it is fully seated, then peen away.
      Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Thanks for the input. I got ahold of ken at Still Kickin Cycles in Buffalo. He has the tool and is going to take of it for me.

Comment

If you really want to fix it right dump that five stud hub and use the correct three stud type...
          Or get used to replacing studs!
          Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

The 5 stud set up was on when I got the bike in 2012. Have everything back together and all is well. If it happens again I will consider switching back to three stud set up. Thanks

Comment

Working...
            X