1966 FLH Throttle Cable Installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1966 FLH Throttle Cable Installation

20210729_130504.jpg Installed the original Linkert DC7 on my 66 FLH. I think I have the cable routed correctly and obtained the control cable clip that goes “under the tank” as stated in the parts manual, however the cable section from the clip the the carb is too flexible when actuating the the throttle twist grip to move the throttle plate properly. I know something about how I have this arrangement is wrong. Can anyone with knowledge about the correct way to do this please enlighten me?

Last edited by gitguy; 07-31-2021, 08:14 AM.

There must be a way to anchor the outer part of the cable closer to the carb. And more in alignment with the push pull direction.

Comment

Yes, that is the issue. If I could just find someone with a 66 FLH that could tell me exactly where that clip is installed . . .

Comment

Doing the same with mine. Also had to put the original push spiral back on . I routed mine to a clip that was on the upper motor mount and is aligned with the carb. I’m sure it’s not correct but it is functional. Id also like to see the correct routing.

Comment

I have been fighting the same type of issue with my 67 FLH using a Bendix carburetor. I know that a lot of guys took off the original Tillotson carbs and used the Bendix but I have yet to find a throttle cable/clamp setup that works smoothly even with the pull handgrip spiral. I have a Tillotson that I could rebuild and use but there’s a lot of mixed reviews on those. My bike had been run 30 years ago with a homemade bracket on the throttle lever that pushed horizontally towards the right side of the bike similar to the Tillotson setup but there again not working smoothly. It seems that there are 3 different ways to clamp the cable: the twisted bracket that attaches to the top bolt of the manifold, the 12-24 tapping in the top motor mount, and the tab that is attached to the bottom of the top frame tube as shown in the picture in the first post. Another factor is that the carb is 1” farther away from the manifold if using the insulator block as was original to the Tillotson.

Comment

This is how I ended up solving the issue. Similar to the Tillotson arrangement. I made this bracket which was a one year only deal for 1966 and the Linkert DC7. Works like a charm!

769C70F8-8BFD-48A4-83BC-CA3E32AE2A7D.jpeg2BF8C4E9-DD2C-4BEC-B759-615B2762B28E.jpegFB550A85-78C1-423D-964B-2051EADBA1B4.jpeg

Comment

Clever. Sometimes We need to be creative with our solutions.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Dix View Post
                Clever. Sometimes We need to be creative with our solutions.
                Doing it how the factory did isn't particularly creative....
                Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

You are correct. I am not very creative!

Comment

I am dealing with the same cable routing issue on a 66 with a DC-7. I want to confirm this is a faithful recreation of the bracket used in 66 with the DC-7? I also need to understand the path the cable takes to get to this bracket.

I am using a solid wire (push throttle) and the pics show a multi-strand cable - which is correct?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally I believe the wire is the solid version. I happen to have this stranded one so I used it instead. I'm the only one that knows it's there

Comment

I'm restarting this conversation to see if someone can confirm the appropriate routing of the throttle cable on a 66 FLH with DC-7. Currently I have the cable routing down the left side of the steering head, between the down tubes, then I cable tied it to the horizontal bar since using the vertical tab seemed to put too much stress on the cable for the next bend to go under the top motor mount on the way to the carb.

From pictures, it appears the cable comes down the left side of the steering head, then between the frame down tubes. I'm not sure after that.

Is it supposed to clamp on the vertical tab on the horizontal frame section directly above the motor? If so, which side (left I assume)? Does it clamp under the top mount?
                        If so is this the last clamp before the DC-7? Is there a special clamp that bolts to the top intake manifold bolt similar to the clamp gitguy made?

Thanks for the help with this. With the current setup the cable does not operate smoothly.

Comment

Your description sounds about right. The key is to locate or fabricate the clamp that fastens to the intake manifold bolt. I used stranded wire instead of the original solid wire. It moves around any bends much easier.

Good luck!

Comment

IMG_1337.JPG
                            Attached Files
                            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                            This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Pics above OP low mileage 66FLH

Comment

Working...
                              X