H-D Production numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H-D Production numbers

hi, does anyone know of a source for H-D model FLH production numbers for 1971. specifically broken down by number for each color. thanks

Call Harley Cares (customer service) located on Juneau Ave: 800 258 2464. They only have individual bike records back to 1973 now, but may be able to help with your question.
    AMCA #41287
    1971 Sprint SS350 project
    1982 FXR - AMCA 98.5 point restoration
    1979 FXS 1200 never done playing
    1998 Dyna Convertible - 100% Original
    96" Evo Softail self built chopper
    2012 103" Road King "per diem"
    plus 13 other bikes over the years...

Comment

When I called the MoCo (Museum) they had lots of information on my 1970, dates of manufacturer, how many, delivery dealership etc, etc, etc. But they had no records as to what color the bike started life as. Call and ask them do do a VIN # check for your bike. They did it over the phone for me, lots of others have gotten a letter in the mail. Good luck.

Comment

Welcome to the forum. I agree about calling the factory. If you don’t have any luck the first time then ring again later and try to speak to someone else.

VINs for 71 Shovels (FL, FLH, FX) were mixed together and apparently they began at 10000. They went thru at least 34379 because that figure is mentioned in Service Bulletin 630. I don’t know how many FLs and FLHs were built but there were approximately 4700 FXs manufactured in the 71 model year according to a letter written in 2013 by H-D Customer Service Representative Pete Simet (since retired).

It was an interesting year for Shovel VINs because the characters used as 6 and 9 seem to have been applied incorrectly on the engine. The same thing happened with some, but not all, frame VINs. Something else unusual about 71 Shovel frame VINs was that at least two types of A, H and 4 were used. Some 71 Shovel frames didn’t even have a VIN boss and their VIN was stamped further forward than usual but I don’t know if any of this info would still be available from the factory.
        Eric

Comment

Working...
        X