77' Four Speed Transmission

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 77' Four Speed Transmission

Been working on this 77' FXE for a bit and one thing has lead to another, so to make a long story short. I am trying to figure out if the trans case is early 77 or later 77....the HD manual says the early 77 and earlier use the cork gasket and the drive gear key on the main gear seal area . When I took it a part it had neither one so I am trying to figure out if I go back with those components or not.

The reason I question the components is the previous owner or mechanic.. a term being used loosely did some really poor work.

Case #'s
    V5585
    34703-66

Thanks
    John

If the main drive gear is loose rollers it is early, if a caged needle it is late.
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

From another thread I had recorded Y as the letter on the front of your trans which at the time made me suggest your casting number may have been 34703-77. But your letter is V? And your casting number is 34703-66? I’ve heard of a couple of trans cases with that CN but I haven’t seen one. Or is it 34703-65?

Service Bulletin M-718 mentions changes including a change to the housing for late-77. AFAIK that’s when the casting number changed, going from 34703-65 to 34703-77.
      Eric

Comment

Working...
      X