Help removing fork lock on 1967 FLH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help removing fork lock on 1967 FLH

How do I remove a fork lock on 1967 FLH? The correct key will not turn lock, I want to replace it with a new lock.

Originally posted by mjdingman View Post
    How do I remove a fork lock on 1967 FLH? The correct key will not turn lock, I want to replace it with a new lock.
    The old lock is held in by a spring pin that can be a bear to remove. The lock body is made of pot metal and I have broken the old lock out and also used a dremel with a small burr. Jerry

Comment

I would spray Kroil into the lock and let it sit overnight then try the key again.
      Be sure to visit;
      http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
      Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
      Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Originally posted by mjdingman View Post
        You don't mention if the bike is together but there is also a small hole on the bottom side of the neck. Spray the lube of your choice in there as well as the lock rod that is actuated by the lock may be sticking as well. If the bike is apart you can see the rod through the frame neck hole and confirm whether its stuck or free. Good luck

Comment

As sswaney said, if the fork lock plunger is rusted in it's bore, a new lock will do you no good. You need to find out if that plunger is moving free. If it isn't, that's going to be your first job.
          Eric Smith
          AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Wieland View Post

The old lock is held in by a spring pin that can be a bear to remove. The lock body is made of pot metal and I have broken the old lock out and also used a dremel with a small burr. Jerry
            As Jerry said, MGD..

The roll pin is much more difficult to remove than earlier screws, but not impossible; This pic should help you locate it, and perhaps fish it with an ezy-out or whatever.

LOCKPIN.jpg

Then the lock core can be pulled and saved, releasing the plunger to be pulled out the hole in the front, shown with the welch plug removed. Good luck!

....Cotten
            AMCA #776
            Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Thank you for all of your responses. The lock rod is free & turns. I drilled into the lock rod & started to tap threads and it broke loose and turns free. The roll pin has been removed. Short of using a slide hammer is there any other way to remove the lock? The bike is apart down to the frame. I have oiled it in all the holes possible. If a slide hammer is what I need to use, I will do this. Again thanks for all your help

Comment

By all means save the original lock. They are valuable and hard to find. Learn the wonders of using Kroil.
                www.kanolabs.com
                Be sure to visit;
                http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
                  By all means save the original lock. They are valuable and hard to find. Learn the wonders of using Kroil.
                  www.kanolabs.com
                  Plus a heat-lamp, MJD!

Set it away far enough that the whole casting can enlarge, safely.

Got an infra-red thermometer "gun"?

Briggs-style key blanks are still common, and it has to be the wrong key or you can't wiggle it out.

....Cotten
                  AMCA #776
                  Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Working...
                  X