1970 Inner Primary Cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1970 Inner Primary Cover

In the interest of getting more activity on the Forum, I will post a question here:

The question is regarding casting numbers VS part numbers. I am trying to locate an original factory inner primary cover for my 1970 FLH, my research tells me part #60619-70. Now I understand that the casting # does not always match the part #.

I know I need an 8 hole cover, 9 hole is later. I also need to be careful to avoid FX covers without provisions for an electric start. And '69 and down look completely different.

I see a lot of covers on the Bay with a casting #60620-74. Is this a casting # or an actual part # for -74 and up? Anyone aware of the casting # that should be inside a 1970 inner primary cover?

Perhaps the -74 casting number is for the FX bikes with the mid controls? I have been told that would work on my bike if I fill the hole.

Any insight you may have would, as always, be greatly appreciated. Going to the Sunshine Meet in Daytona next month, hope to find the right piece there.

Yes you are right, casting numbers are not the part numbers, and the -74 suffix says it was new in 1974. Does the FL inner primary have a boss for the shifter lever? My 71-84 FX parts manual says the same inner primary (9-hole), 60421-79A, fits 71-84, because I believe they just didn't machine the holes for electric start on the earlier bikes? There are a few other part numbers for black or polished, or EVO. My point is Harley says they all fit, it's just a matter of how you want it to look. I also know you can put a 9-hole outer on an 8-hole inner, but I don't know if it works the opposite way. Good luck in your search.
    AMCA #41287
    1971 Sprint SS350 project
    1982 FXR - AMCA 98.5 point restoration
    1979 FXS 1200 never done playing
    1998 Dyna Convertible - 100% Original
    96" Evo Softail self built chopper
    2012 103" Road King "per diem"
    plus 13 other bikes over the years...

Comment

The -74 cover is FX, and FXE mid control type. 71 and 72 FX inners were not machined for the solenoid, 73 FX was machined.
      VPH-D

Comment

My factory parts book is 1961-1971, so I do not have information for '74 and up. My book list 60619-70 for 1970 only, 60619-71 for 1971. The plot thickens.

Comment

60619-71 is the FX cover.
          VPH-D

Comment

Oh yeah, avoid the 79 and later die cast inners, as they are weak...
            VPH-D

Comment

Working...
            X