Shovelhead Cylinder Casting Numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shovelhead Cylinder Casting Numbers

Never seen this before, but I haven't seen everything either... so I looked at this 77' superglide that's for sale in my area and I noticed that the rear cylinder casting number is facing in towards the intake and the front cylinder casting number is facing forward towards the exhaust. Didn't hear it run but looks like it has, is it possible for the casting numbers to be positioned that way. I didn't make a note of the numbers but pretty sure they are factory numbers.

Thanks for any input.

John

My 79 FXS and 82 FXR have them both in the V. They have -78 castings. Are the 77's Harley cylinders?

AMCA #41287
    1971 Sprint SS350 project
    1982 FXR - AMCA 98.5 point restoration
    1979 FXS 1200 never done playing
    1998 Dyna Convertible - 100% Original
    96" Evo Softail self built chopper
    2012 103" Road King "per diem"
    plus 13 other bikes over the years...

Comment

Yes... I just got the casting numbers.. 16568-66 and 16587-66

I also have a complete 72' and two other sets and they all are on the inside.

Comment

Apparently that's how they are: Here are three for sale:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/15412214978...ce5e62b2bbef56

https://www.ebay.com/itm/26456405948...3dc0c684d79612

https://www.ebay.com/itm/26501050350...b62ff066fa0380
        AMCA #41287
        1971 Sprint SS350 project
        1982 FXR - AMCA 98.5 point restoration
        1979 FXS 1200 never done playing
        1998 Dyna Convertible - 100% Original
        96" Evo Softail self built chopper
        2012 103" Road King "per diem"
        plus 13 other bikes over the years...

Comment

In some publications there are pictures of what appears to be a 66 prototype Shovel engine. Looks like the left side of both cylinders have an MCC logo as per Pan cylinders for about mid-63–65. The back of the front cylinder and the front of the rear cylinder appear to have date codes including a letter for the month. I see no casting number on either cylinder.

I haven’t done much research on production Shovel cylinders and the few rear cylinders I’ve seen have casting number 16587-66 at the front. Some have a date code on the R-H side but due to the format it seems no letter was required for the month. Some codes have one number for the year while others have two.

For production front cylinders, sometimes 16568-66 is at the back and the examples I’ve seen have a date code on the R-H side. Again it seems no letter was required for the month and again some codes have one number for the year while others have two.
          But sometimes 16568-66 is at the front and the few examples I’ve seen have no date code.

Did the cylinders on that 77 have date codes?

Do your 72 cylinders and your other sets have date codes?
          Eric

Comment

Hello Eric,
            I bought this bike, but haven’t picked it up yet due to poor weather conditions. I will pick it up this week and get it home on my lift and will get a better understanding of what I have. I will post what I find.
            Thanks
            john

Comment

Eric,
              Here is the transmission number of the 77' Y5585 and the Vin *9D in reference to the above bike in question.

In addition to the cylinder example above here are three more examples of Shovelhead cylinders that I have.

Set #2
              16568-66 and on the front side has 61/72 and 2067..... I believe these are the original that came with the 72' basket case that I have original heads and cylinders.

Set#3
              BF 16568-78 2-2709

Set#4
              BF 16568-78 on the front of the cylinder has 06-30

I only gave examples of the front cylinders.

The only cylinder that has a casting number on the front is the front cylinder on the 77'.... no date code.

John

Comment

Thanks John. I think 61/72 may indicate the cylinder was cast on day 61 of 1972. I don’t know what 2067 means but I’ve seen a similar marking on two other 74ci Shovel front cylinders. One had 1238 and the other had 1341.
                I don’t know what is indicated by 2-2709 or 06-30. I’ve seen BF on several cylinders but I don’t know what it means. Maybe it represents the foundry?

Re the trans, underneath you may find casting number 34703-77. On cases with that casting number the letter Y was one of at least four letters used, the others being W, X and Z. Also check underneath for a date code. There may or may not be one but if there is it may help determine if the trans is a 77 model or 78 model.

Here’s one of the service bulletins I mentioned via email. It won’t concern your trans now that we know its letter is Y but it may be useful to others.

And here’s another bulletin regarding some changes.

Second post to follow.
                Eric

Comment

9D indicates FXE-1200 so the bike has had a few things changed from original.

General production 9D VINs for 77 models could go as high as 67+++ but I have not had this confirmed by the factory. NB: some exceptions could go higher for one reason or another.
                  Although you have matching numbers you may find some characters in the engine number are not exactly the same as in the frame VIN and the difference will probably be the width. It seems to depend on ranges and in 9D VINs for 1977 at least three characters were affected: D, 4 and H. If you have any concerns about your VINs please let me know.

I noticed the brake pedal assembly was not attached although the frame has the mount for it. But does that mount look original? Some 77s didn’t have it and sometimes people weld on an AM mount.

Service Letter ML-63 has info on spark plugs for some models.

Is the carb S&S or only the cover? If the carb is Keihin I can post a bulletin for 76-later adjustments and mods.

Eric

Comment

Eric,
                    The bike has been through some changes for sure. I’m pretty comfortable with the vin as well was the state trooper that inspected it. Carb is S&S with adjustable main jet and foot controls are gone.. started the motor yesterday and sounds very strong. I consider this bike a survivor of people that touched it too many times. Needs some TLC.

Thanks for the post.
                    john
                    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                    This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Working...
                    X