Banana calipers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Banana calipers

What is the difference between front and rear calipers on the early banana style. I don’t see any difference.

The difference is in the pistons, they retract different amounts, the front less than the rear.
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thanks Rubone. Do you know why.

Comment

As the pads wear the pistons move more, out ward, as for retracting they don't, only the brake master cylinder controls any movement retracting and that is so minute you would have to measure it with a feeler gauge, the pads stay in contact with the rotor but not enough to cause any braking or serious heat matter until master cylinder is activated.

Comment

I disagree.The master bleed back hole allows the rotors to push the pads back.There is no vacuum in the master retracting the pistons unlike drum brakes that have springs to retract them.A warped rotor will push them back a lot!

Comment

Duffy, please explain how a rotor, which if not warped, runs true and is secured to the hub by 5 screws can push the pad and piston anywhere. The Bananas were pinned in such a manner to the Boomerang or the fork slider that they themselves, calipers, were able to move but I am thinking that is because there is only one brake pad that is under brake fluid pressure so when pedal/hand brake lever is release the caliper can move to relieve pad pressure on the anvil side of the caliper. That being said the only movement is the entire caliper in theory.

Comment

Originally posted by dustydog View Post
              What is the difference between front and rear calipers on the early banana style. I don’t see any difference.
              Only difference is mounts. Repop fronts have the rear boss cast in outside half just not finished. OEM fronts used different casting without unused bump.

Comment

I see the outboard half of the caliper has a boss at the left side. Sometimes the boss has a hole drilled through it and sometimes not. What’s up with that?

Comment

Originally posted by Bubbalowe View Post
                  Only difference is mounts. Repop fronts have the rear boss cast in outside half just not finished. OEM fronts used different casting without unused bump.
                  Same outside casting used front and rear.

Comment

Dusty Dog, That was for the good anti rattle spring that rested on axle.

Some years used different pistons ,as the front had a retraction spring built onto piston, that one could develop a squeal and had to be adjusted. The seals help retract the pistons and the caliper float and minor runout of disc did the rest.
                    Last edited by tomfiii; 05-02-2019, 02:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X