1969 Shovelhead help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1969 Shovelhead help

I could use a little help. I am going to look at a 1969 Shovel. I own an Panhead and Flathead and haven’t dealt much with the early Shovels. Is there any reference material like Palmers How To Restore Your Harley Davidson for the Shovelhead? Just trying to stay out of trouble.

Thanks
    Jeff

Jeff,
    I own a proud owner of 1969 FLH shovelhead and there is not anything out there, like a Palmers, that I have found. There is a book that lists changes and part numbers called Donny’S Unauthorized Technical Guide to Harley-Davidson; Volume 5 The Shovelhead, part I and part II.
    One thing that freaks some people out about the 1969 is the front drum brake is on the rh side. I put over 50k wonderful miles on mine and love it!
    Good luck!

Comment

Hi Jeff,

I don't know if this will help but here's a few pictures of my 69. You can see a pre electric start Panhead and an Indian Chief in the background, and I must admit that I like riding those bikes better than the Shovel. The Shovel just seems big and clunky in comparison but the electric start is a big plus for me in my advanced age :-).

Steve Slaminko003.jpg001.jpg

Comment

I am having a hard time figuring out the paint. Is this an original color for 69 and what do 69 go for.
        IMG_4839.jpeg47265C15-D676-4ECA-A0C5-D870FBF3ED30.jpg
        Last edited by jeffrro1; 04-03-2019, 10:14 AM. Reason: Picture attachment

Comment

They are the '58 Buick Roadmaster of the Harley world but I love my 1967 and the 1969 my buddy has that I've rode a bunch and inspired me to get my 1967.
          DrSprocket

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrro1 View Post
            I am having a hard time figuring out the paint. Is this an original color for 69 and what do 69 go for.
            IMG_4839.jpeg[ATTACH=CONFIG]24331[/ATTACH]
            Jeff, I cannot be for sure if that is of is not an original color, but I cannot find a color that matches that color and have never seen that color. The scheme looks correct though. I rode my 69 with that fat body seat for several years and then put on a single and then to a frame mounted seat. I wish I would have went to a frame mounted seat years ago. I know the is not original, but it turned it from a fun bike to a super great bike. Value is all over the place on generator shovels?????

Chris Haynes posted this list in 2009

Standard colors were,
            Black with black wrinkle panel and white stripe.
            Jet Fire Orange with black wrinkle panel and white stripe.
            Birch White with black wrinkle panel and white stripe.

Optional colors were,
            Sparkling Burgundy with black wrinkle panel and white stripe.
            Sparkling Blue with black wrinkle panel and white stripe.
            Sparkling Gold with black wrinkle panel and white stripe.
            Last edited by ryan; 04-03-2019, 04:55 PM.

Comment

This is the factory sales info..
              Attached Files
              Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Robbie,
                Where is the rest of the sales info?

Comment

On the rest of the pages....
                  Attached Files
                  Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

I remember a reddish/pink & black or was that a pre shovelhead 2 tone paint job?

Comment

Hi I am a big fan of gen.shovels ,if you are looking for a original paint 69 you need to each machine on its own. I am not a expert however I believe 1969 FLH ‘s didn’t come with a kick start its a very sensible addition though.That being said from 1picture it may be a very nice bike that has been worked on . How about this for values if I’m selling 17,000 if I’m buying 9,000 . Good luck

Comment

I think the paint color is sparkling copper a 1979 color. The bike didn’t end up being as advertised. Thanks for all the help. The search continues. Would love to find another big twin. Thanks again for all of the help.

Jeff

Comment

Hi Ryan , do you remember what the frame mounted seat came off of ? And did you weld a piece of flat stock on frame to mount the front of it ? I’m building a 69 and at 5’ 4’’ the stock style seat ain’t going to make it

Comment

Originally posted by Jcadams View Post
                            Hi Ryan , do you remember what the frame mounted seat came off of ? And did you weld a piece of flat stock on frame to mount the front of it ? I’m building a 69 and at 5’ 4’’ the stock style seat ain’t going to make it
                            Hello,
                            No welding is needed on the frame, there are tabs on the seats that go under the frame behind the gas tanks. However, a small hole needs to be drilled in the rear fender to hold the back of the seat. I ran a stock shovelhead super gluide/low rider seat for a while and then changed to a Mustang seat. Both seat are for passengers as well. You should be fine with either seat and should mention for a 4 speed frame.

Link for Mustang seat: https://www.jpcycles.com/product/800...hoCA5cQAvD_BwE
                            Last edited by ryan; 04-13-2019, 10:50 AM.

Comment

DSC06158mp.JPGDSC06159mp.JPGI ran a seat similar to that on my '69, instead of drilling a hole in the fender I made the bracket shown from aluminum angle. It has felt on the bottom and attached to the luggage rack. To attach to the seat I drilled and countersunk a hole so the screw was under the felt height so it wouldn't scratch the fender. I took the spacer out of the center rail of the luggage rack and made an aluminum block that fit (similar to the ones in a newer rack) then bolted and doweled (probably a little over board there) the bracket shown to the block. The two bolts and dowels did locate the seat each time when removed to access the oil tank and didn't move while riding. I no longer run that seat and I have a fender that didn't get scratched and without a hole and just added the original spacer back in the luggage rack.
                              Last edited by BigLakeBob; 04-13-2019, 12:04 PM.
                              Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Working...
                              X