Converting an 88" big bore back to stock 74"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting an 88" big bore back to stock 74"

I am restoring a 1966 FL Police Special. It had a 3.625'' big bore kit installed and the flywheels were changed to 4.250''. I have a set of 74'' flywheels and want to install 74'' barrels but there is now excess clearance between the bottom guide sleeve on the barrel to the engine case bore. I thought of shrinking a steel sleeve onto the cylinder guide sleeve to take up the excess clearance but am concerned about heat expansion between the 2 metals possibly causing the cylinder guide sleeve to crack or distortion the cylinder guide sleeve causing ring/piston skirt problems after the engine is hot.
    Has anyone done this or is this excess clearance something I should be concerned about?
    The original heads were bored to accept the top lip of the barrel. I thought I would machine an aluminium ring and set it over the top lip of the barrel to take up the excess clearance here to minimize cylinder pressure to the head gasket.
    Has anyone out there converted an 88 back to a 74 and do you have any tips.
    Thanks
    Pete:::::::::::::::;;;;;;;;;;;;

Pete,
    You may be best to have the 88 bores sleeved back to 74 bore.
    This way there is no more machining needed on the barrels or heads.
    Cheers,
    Mick

Comment

The cylinder spigot is not supposed to touch the crankcase, ever. The extra clearance is completely harmless. Ignore it.
      The Linkert Book

Comment

Thanks Mick and Kitabel for your quick responses
        I think I'll just bolt on a set of original barrels to make the engine original
        Pete:::::::::::::;;;;;;;

Comment

Working...
        X