41740-63 Wheel Cylinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 41740-63 Wheel Cylinder

Has anyone found a part and part number for the 63-72 rear drum brake wheel cylinder that could be bought from an Automotive parts store with the thought that it might be USA made and of higher quality and not higher priced because its obsolete? I have a number, Napa 9004 but that brake cylinder is 15/16ths diameter, what I have is 1 1/8". Did HD use the 15/16ths bore diameter and the Accel I have is a heavy duty cylinder measuring 1 1/8" bore? Thanks

The Wagner, Raybestos & Rock Auto part number is WC9004 The Wagner specs show the bore is 13/16"

Comment

I didn't see any 13/16ths specs but did see 15/16ths and the numbers were all 9004 except Bendix. I found the cups and dust covers for $7.00 with springs but no pistons. The NAPA guy used those w/wc9004 numbers but only found the cylinders in 15/16ths, $32.00 and tax. I cannot see accel making one that much bigger than the 41740-63 OEM part and why go all the way to 1 1/8" if HD was using 13/16 or 15/16ths? Time to do some Swap Meet shopping. Thanks

Comment

I looked to replace the wheel cylinder on my 69 about 10years ago. What I could find at my local store had the threaded boss coming straight out, where the OEM boss was angled to the rear. Didn't want to mess around with it, so I decided to try cleaning mine up, as it was not in bad shape, just leaking a bit. The cylinder hones you buy come with a medium stone set, so I ordered a set of fines from the auto parts store. Hit it with the mediums til it cleaned up, then the fines to smooth it out. I remember it took quite a while, but it's been on there ever since with no problems. I used lots of brake fluid for honing fluid.

Comment

I wanted to rebuild mine for my 1964 FL. Being the frugal, cheap, person I am I could not see 30 some odd dollars for an accel rebuild kit. I went down to Nick's and he had a nice correct knock off for $45. The pistons were even milled with slots to seat the ends of the shoes. I bought it and installed it bled it and away I went. Correct in every way right down to the angled boss. A week later found an old rebuild kit from Superior on line for $12. No brainer there bought it rebuilt the wagner. I am fairly certain my wagner was original to the bike and it was 1-1/8 bore. Not much pedal pressure required to stop the motorcycle.

Comment

Hello all, I did manage to clean up my cylinder casting and bought the piston cups from Napa. They had the 1 1/8" cups, boots and springs for a Chevy C60. I had to buy two kits as the trucks of that size use two wheel cylinders one piston each, so I get the proper size cups, two new springs and the dust boots for something just south of 10 dollars! Sometimes it pays to dig though that can depend of the counter man and what store you choose.

Comment

A good counter person these days is a rare commodity. You are more likely to find one of these people at a NAPA as opposed to Advance or Auto Zone. Things like stoplight switches are still available as well, more reasonably priced. The last time I needed one it was the bladed type and I was able to find one at Schlep Boys. It was for an early 1950's Mopar product if I remember correctly.

Comment

Working...
              X