1971 FLH Cam cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1971 FLH Cam cover

Building a 1971 FLH . The cam cover was toast , so I ordered a V-Twin replacement ( I know , I know , no BS comments ! ) . I measured the bushings and they are 1.003 cam & .564 pinion . They seem out of tolerance . Does anyone have the dimensions for what a new cam & pinion shaft end should measure ? I need to know weather I need a new cam & pinion shaft . Thank you , Mike

Mike; Is your replacement cam cover for 1970-early 1973 or '73 and later? The pinion bushing is different on the later cover. The cam bushing is the same as early. Also be sure that your oiling hole on your new cover lines up your case. This was another change on the later cover. They were not interchangeable. Sorry that I don't have the early cover anymore to give you some specs.
    Craig

Comment

Your new cover has new bushings which need to be line reamed using an empty right side crankcase. I know that’s bad news but there you go. You should really buy a book. I knew that info but double checked my book before answering your post. The early shovel (generator) book says the same. Probably all the engines

Comment

Thanks Guys . I do have the proper manuals but they only give you the tolerances not the nominal dimensions . I need to know what a new cam measures eg. 1.001 ,1.000,.999 and also the pinion shaft . The cover is the right one for a 1971 . Also is there another manufacturer that offers a better quality cover ?

Comment

Not getting it

Originally posted by 1970 XLCH View Post
          Thanks Guys . I do have the proper manuals but they only give you the tolerances not the nominal dimensions . I need to know what a new cam measures eg. 1.001 ,1.000,.999 and also the pinion shaft . The cover is the right one for a 1971 . Also is there another manufacturer that offers a better quality cover ?
          You have to size the bushing to the shaft.not the other way around

Comment

Originally posted by 1970 XLCH View Post
            Yea, It's called OEM on e-bay and you wouldn't be asking this question. Bob L
            AMCA #3149
            http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

Chrome aftermarket nose cones can leak between the two areas that the gasket is supposed to keep seperate.They can send the oil out the breather as you ride without warning.Unless you notice your rear tire sliding on the oil.

Comment

Pretty tall order these days to find a Shovel head cam cover without some cosmetic damage. I always see a few at swap meets but most are damaged. Not un repairable mind you, but seems the days of clean non blemished covers are all but gone.

Comment

Working...
                X