1981 outer primary cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1981 outer primary cover

Hi I have a 81 lowrider and when I took off the outer primary cover I noticed that on the bottom on the inside there is a little piece that is like a oil chamber . Also there is a hose that comes into the inner primary that looks like it would go to this chamber , on couple of pictures I have seen they have drilled a hole in the top of the chamber . My question is do i need to drill a hole in it our will the oil run though with out me doing so .
    Thanks Glen

It has been working well for the last 37 years hasn't it? Leave it alone. It is a sealed system.
    On the other hand all that worn clutch material winds up going into your engine. Have the oil lines bypass the primary, seal the primary, and adding chain case lubricant to it is the best thing you could do.
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
      It has been working well hasn't it? Leave it alone. It is a sealed system.
      On the other hand all that worn clutch material winds up going into your engine. Have the oil lines bypass the primary, seal the primary, and adding chain case lubricant to it is the best thing you could do.
      C'mon, Chris!

Do you think it was in constant service for the last 37 years?

Even when recirculated (I ignored when MOCO quit, 'exactly'), just how much volume of clutch material wears into the oil before each motor oil change is due?
      (Chain shavings are the issue, and a magnetic drain plug proves it.)

I used to make a living selling expensive chains and un-sealing "better idea" Chubble primaries, back when it was a '90s fad, after the owners naturally ran them dry.
      I don't miss it.

...Cotten
      Last edited by T. Cotten; 12-29-2018, 04:25 PM.
      AMCA #776
      Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Working...
      X