1971 Frame tab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1971 Frame tab

Hi , Can anyone tell me the purpose of this tab welded to my 1971 FLH frame ? It is about an inch away from the shifter mount and has a 5/16 - 18 nut welded to it . Thanks , Mike
    Attached Files

Hydraulic brake line mount.

Jerry

Comment

The mount the brake light switch was bolted to.
      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Mike, does your rear brake line run down the R-H side of the bike and then go behind the trans to the left side of the frame?
        Eric

Comment

Hi Eric , I don't know . Its a basket case , I'm starting from scratch .

Comment

Cheers Mike. For 1958–69 Big Twins the tab had a brake line tee bolted to it. The brake line ran across the front of the engine into the tee and out the other side, continuing along the left side of the bike. Also attached to the tee was a stop light switch.

But as of 1970 models, according to Bruce Palmer’s resto book, the brake line ran down the R-H side of the bike and then went behind the trans case to the left side of the frame. Therefore the tab was not required but it remained in place for a couple of years anyway.

Are there any brake lines among your parts?
            Eric

Comment

Hi Eric , Yes I have some brake lines and it looks like I have the one that goes behind the tranny . Can you tell me where the tee ( with the brake light switch ) bolts to ? Thank you for your help , Mike

Comment

You’re welcome. I don’t know exactly where the stop light switch is mounted for 71. My Harley parts catalog ending with 1971 Shovels doesn’t help because its illustration of the line routing is the same as in my 58–68 catalog.

I’m wondering if the tee is mounted to the back of the trans plate?

If we can’t find an answer in the next couple of days I’ll email a guy I know with a 71 FLH in Europe.
                Eric

Comment

I contacted my friend in Europe and asked for photos of his 71 brake line and switch. He replied but he’s away this week on business so he’ll send pictures on the weekend. I’ll let you know as soon as I get them.
                  Eric

Comment

The brake tee bolts to the right front trans plate hole.
                    VPH-D

Comment

Thanks VPH-D and badger34.

I've put correction notes in my copy of Palmer’s SE regarding the routing of the brake line and the position of the switch.

badger34, thanks for the photo. Is that brake line from a mid-71/late-71 as opposed to early-71? I notice it has what may be front tube bracket #42314-71 but I don’t see that bracket in my 61–71 catalog so I’m wondering if early-71s didn’t have it?

And inside that bracket is there a hose pad #42319-72? My later catalogs indicate 71s didn’t have a hose pad.
                      Eric

Comment

Thank you. I looked through my engine number photos and in them I see the first section of brake line for two 71FLHs and a 71FX. One FLH appears to have the front tube bracket as a permanent part of the line. The other two bikes have their bracket separate to the line and they both have a hose pad inside the bracket. However, I don’t know if any of the three lines are original to the bikes.
                        Eric

Comment

My 1970 FLH has the tab but doesn't have anything attached to it. The brake line is routed along the right frame and crosses over near the transmission.
                          Kurly

Comment

Working...
                          X