Restoring a 1966 FL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restoring a 1966 FL

Hi everybody. I recently purchased a 1966 Harley Davidson FL. I read that there were 2175 FL models built in 1966 and all were service bikes, police etc. There was an FLB (hand shifted 4 speed) and the FLFB (foot shifted 4 speed) Can anyone tell me how to determine which model I have and where I could get any restoration information. Thanks Pete:::::::;;;;;;;;

Originally posted by Pete Engelman View Post
    Hi everybody. I recently purchased a 1966 Harley Davidson FL. I read that there were 2175 FL models built in 1966 and all were service bikes, police etc. There was an FLB (hand shifted 4 speed) and the FLFB (foot shifted 4 speed) Can anyone tell me how to determine which model I have and where I could get any restoration information. Thanks Pete:::::::;;;;;;;;
    Hi. First of all, not all 1966 FL's were service bikes or police or the like, though it is my understanding that most police bikes were ordered as FL's, but certainly not all. Regarding hand shift vs. foot shift, unless you have particular documentation on that specific motorcycle it is almost impossible to determine what it was originally if it has been modified. If you can back-track through the previous owners perhaps they can offer information or best of all photographs indicating its original appearance. I am not aware of any restoration guides on the early slabside shovelheads. The beauty of a '66 is that this is the first year for the frame mounted hand shift so it can be configured either way at this point. I've had a couple of '66's including one with the 3.5 gallon fuel tanks, these first year shovelheads turn out nice. Good luck with your restoration.
    Lonnie Campbell #9908
    South Cackalackey, U.S. of A.

Come see us at the Tenth Annual AMCA Southern National Meet - May 17-19, 2019 at Denton FarmPark, Denton, N.C.

Visit the website for vendor and visitor information at www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com

Comment

Call the customer service department at the factory with your serial number. They'll supply a build date, and sometimes a little more info.
      VPH-D

Comment

on my 1966 fl police factory hanshift model on the title it says 66flb om my 1969 flh factory footsift on title it says model 69flhfb hope this clears things up for you !

Comment

Thanks for your help Lonnie

Comment

Thanks Tom It's a canadian bike so no title. It has a ratchet top 4 speed so this could mean it was a foot shift bike but who knows. There is a divot on the left frame down tube where a hand shifter could be installed with a set screw but it's anyone guess. It is a police special by the speedo. I even contacted HD Milwaukee and they had no info other than they could sell me the parts and service manual

Comment

Like I said, call the Customer Service Dept at the factory, they have provided for me info on all my modern bikes.
              VPH-D

Comment

Pete, I agree with VPH-D; call H-D Customer Service. Some info from the 1960s is still available, including the build date and what model the bike began life as (footshift or handshift). AFAIK the phone number is still 414-343-4056. Tell them your serial number and belly numbers.

How original is the bike? Depending on what’s happened over the years it may have three additional original component identifying numbers, sometimes called security codes or anti-theft numbers.

The additional ID may be stamped on the left side of the frame steering head, outside the left fork stop on the lower triple clamp and on the front of the trans case on the R-H side just below where the lid attaches. The ID may consist of one capital letter followed by either three or four numbers but the characters are only about 1/8” tall. The three sets of ID will probably not match each other and even the letters may be different. For a 66 Shovel frame and lower triple clamp the letter may be D, E, F or G although some letters can also relate to some other years. For a 66 Shovel trans case the same four letters may apply but don’t be surprised if you find C instead. If all three sets of ID are original to the bike then H-D may be able to confirm them.
                Eric

Comment

Originally posted by Speeding Big Twin View Post
                  Pete, I agree with VPH-D; call H-D Customer Service. Some info from the 1960s is still available, including the build date and what model the bike began life as (footshift or handshift). AFAIK the phone number is still 414-343-4056. Tell them your serial number and belly numbers.

How original is the bike? Depending on what’s happened over the years it may have three additional original component identifying numbers, sometimes called security codes or anti-theft numbers.

The additional ID may be stamped on the left side of the frame steering head, outside the left fork stop on the lower triple clamp and on the front of the trans case on the R-H side just below where the lid attaches. The ID may consist of one capital letter followed by either three or four numbers but the characters are only about 1/8” tall. The three sets of ID will probably not match each other and even the letters may be different. For a 66 Shovel frame and lower triple clamp the letter may be D, E, F or G although some letters can also relate to some other years. For a 66 Shovel trans case the same four letters may apply but don’t be surprised if you find C instead. If all three sets of ID are original to the bike then H-D may be able to confirm them.
                  Eric
                  Thank you Eric. The belly numbers on the cases match there is also the # 7 stamped on the rear engine mount of each engine case. I'll try and clean up these areas and look for additional numbers and I'll call the number you gave me. Thanks for the info.
                  Pete::::::::::;;;;;;;;;;;

Comment

You’re welcome Pete. Over the years (1941-later) H-D used at least two types of 7 on top of the cases but for Shovelheads they are normally sans serif as per the example below.
                    Eric

Comment

Thanks Erci
                      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                      X