82 FXR General Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 82 FXR General Discussion

The 1982 Super Glide II, also known as “The Sturgis” has officially reached the 35 year mark and even after turning most bolts on this impressive example of American engineering, I still have much to learn. This is a general forum for questions, concerns, and all things related. With any luck I can help a few through your hurdles as I encounter my own.

In 1982 the Sturgis was an FXDB. It had the solid mount engine and Dual Belt drive. Thus the DB model designation. The FXR was a completely different motorcycle with Rubber mount engine and chain drive. R for Rubber designation.
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

After a little research I found in 1980 they released the FXB “Sturgis “ which is a chain driven primary and belt secondary. In 1982 Harley Davidson produced the FXR to replace the FXB. The FXDB we’re not going to production for another decade in 1991 is when the double belt driven drive was released. With such a short production of the FXB “Sturgis“ the name has carried through to the FXR in many for sale sites and even the NADA has the Sturgis variation of the FXR. While hunting down this information I did find another question. I read that the Dyna chassis was not released until 1990 but my manual has always stated that my 82 is a Dyna super glide II. I am confused as to, is this a patent year or is there a different variation of the Dyna chassis.

Comment

1980, 1981 and 1982 Sturgis is an FXB...all are twin belt drive Low Riders...80 and 81 are black only, 82's came on colors with buckhorn bars! This bike became the FXSB in 1983. NO chain primary in the original FXB. NO FXR Sturgis!

Comment

I have a 1981 FXB Sturgis with 20K on the odometer. It's is completely "bone stock" original an unmolested. They made them from 1980 to 1982. In 1991 they came out for one year only a Sturgis model which was also the first year of the Dyna platform machine. The 1980 to 1982 model had the two into one "boom tube" muffler, drag bars, more rake, and a couple more inches in the fork tubes. It had a sissy bar with a little "hippy" bag mounted to it. The motor and transmission weres all blacked out. All the sheet metal was black only also. There were very few pieces of chrome on this model. My 1981 was the last AMF produced year of H-D. Many owners changed the handlebars, seat, and exhaust. All three years came with TWO belts, primary and rear drive. It also came with a rubber snubbed front drive sprocket and triple disc brakes. The rims were nine spoke with black centers, polished outer rim and an orange stripe. The strip was in a machined grove. The only model H-D with that grove on a wheel they used on many other models. I hope this helps.
          DrSprocket

Comment

Howdy sir,

FXB and FXR as divergent a riding experience as you can have in an FX of this era from the frame size to handling, gears etc. Will say though, both can be spooky at the limited because of limited fork tube size, this rectified with the blockhead FXR’s in 84.

My 83 FXRT (attempting to look like the traditional 77 low rider)
            [/url]
            Several mor pics of it below
            https://petergz.smugmug.com/Motorcyc...-Davidson-FXR/

My 81 Sturgis (FXR was great but this is what I was after and still have, the FXR moved on the day this bought)

More pics of its freshening below.
            https://petergz.smugmug.com/Motorcyc...rgis/i-93XMt46

Rich! Didn’t know you were a member of the faith, mine is an 81 as well, it’s a lifter block oiler model, the giant Samoan dude I bought it from years ago carefully razored off the AMF badges on the tanks, likely easily fixed then as OP wasn’t on the horizon of desireability for this relatively late model, then stripped and repainted it (argh!). My favorite narrow glide Shovel FX.
            Cheerio,
            Peter
            1950 Vincent - A Red Rapide Experience

Comment

I have customers with all of the above bikes.The only one wrong is the original poster.FXR had the big V in the side of the frame & used the 5 speed like the touring FLT.The FXB & FXSB mentioned were in 4 speed frames.

Comment

Howdy chaps,

Besides the oddly out place plastic side panels affixed to the modern design perimeter/boxed frame on the FXR. The nearly vertical rear springs/shocks were aesthetically annoying compared to the acutely laid over arrangement on the 4 speed frames but likely necessary to keep sharp suspension jolts from jerking the entire drivetrain rearward in those soft rubber mounting bushings.

These are superb machines, unappreciated by the traditionalists at the time when I picked mine up for a song, the first to catch on were west coasters. I saw a complete set of RT plastic sell for $6,500 over 5 years ago (gave mine away). At the boardwalk chopper show at Bike Week this year there was a line up of them customized by a shop out of Miami (I’m thinking) that works on nothing else.
                Cheerio,
                Peter

Comment

Originally posted by KohnkeHD View Post
                  I read that the Dyna chassis was not released until 1990 but my manual has always stated that my 82 is a Dyna super glide II. I am confused as to, is this a patent year or is there a different variation of the Dyna chassis.
                  Don't use any manual that is not published by H-D. The Dyna replaced the FXR series.
                  In 1982 the Sturgis was a Dual Belt Drive.
                  http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/mod...urgis%2082.htm
                  Be sure to visit;
                  http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                  Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                  Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Howdy chaps,

Don’t need no stink’n FLH and Tour Pack to go camping just a Sturgis, pup tent and (long suffering) girl friend.

Anyone remember these hanging in their local HD dealer? Produced by the MoCo on 1980, saw this before the first machines arrived and knew I’d have one at some point but then in the midst of restoring a 911 on an overly thin budget. This hung in my friend’s shop who did not own a Sturgis so years ago when his over priced Indian Four and chair refused to run with the purchaser’s delivery truck on the way from California I specified this be delivered along with his rig to my shop to provide suitable incentive to resuscitate the latter at such short notice.

Cheerio,
                    Peter

Comment

Funny that the article the Chris posted says the the 1982 is the most collectable....most Stugis people only consider the 80-81 model as real Sturgeses because the 82 came in several colors besides black and did not have drag bars!

Comment

Chris, 1981 has dual belts too! Peter Your '81 is as cherry as mine. After I had to ride my buddy Dave's 1999 last year EVO first year Night train at the Tennessee road run last year I had to have something close. The '81 Sturgis comes close. Drag bars, all blacked out ,raked, longer forks, you know the deal. Factory choppers.
                        DrSprocket

Comment

Thanks for the advise.

Comment

You mention the side plates, do you know of a supplier who sells chrome ones?

Comment

I had a 1980 FXB original paint for a few years. That was about all that was original. A prior owner had blinged it with chrome. I rode the heck out of it and sold it with 60k on the clock, had 40k when I bought it. A real fun ride never gave me any real problems. It was just time to rotate inventory. The machined wheels did also make an appearance on the XR-1000 but the grove was painted a shade of red if my memory serves me well. Enjoy!!

Comment

Working...
                              X