Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shovel engine on hd rigid frame

hi,
    is it possible to put shovelhead engine on hd original rigid frame?

Panhead frame yes (it bolts right in), Knucklehead frame no (it can be done but ruins the frame)
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

got it!! thanks!!

Comment

The rear rocker box gets really close to the seat post tube. I have seen a couple where someone had put a small 1/8 inch deep clearance dent in the down tube. It was not deep enough to affect the action of the seat post.

Comment

Originally posted by camsaure View Post
          The rear rocker box gets really close to the seat post tube. I have seen a couple where someone had put a small 1/8 inch deep clearance dent in the down tube. It was not deep enough to affect the action of the seat post.
          got it thanks!!

Comment

All 1930 and up Harley Big Twins have the same pitch for the engine mounting bolts, so people are putting even Evo engines in VL frames. The problem is you have to cut the horizontal tube under the VL tanks to get the later motor in, which destroys it as a VL frame. The VL also takes a 1 1/8" diameter fork stem compared with 1" post 1936. Wheels Through Time put a knuckle engine in a VL frame to make a 36VEL and there is a DVD of that title from 2006.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Slocombe View Post
              All 1930 and up Harley Big Twins have the same pitch for the engine mounting bolts, so people are putting even Evo engines in VL frames. The problem is you have to cut the horizontal tube under the VL tanks to get the later motor in, which destroys it as a VL frame. The VL also takes a 1 1/8" diameter fork stem compared with 1" post 1936. Wheels Through Time put a knuckle engine in a VL frame to make a 36VEL and there is a DVD of that title from 2006.
              At the risk of sounding like a pedantic poop, BT sidevalves do not bolt right into an OHV frame. They need a spacer under the front of the motor, P/N 24795-48.

Comment

At the risk of sounding like a pedantic poop, BT sidevalves do not bolt right into an OHV frame. They need a spacer under the front of the motor, P/N 24795-48.
                Actually not quite true either. The spacer is only needed for '48 and up frames which have a lower front motor mount (which matches the new for '48 Panhead engine and all subsequent engines including the EVO). Motor mounts share common locations from '30-47 with 48U models being the odd leftover. Then '48 up share a new front location. All OHV and BTSV frames through '47 share dimensions on engine mounting.
                Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by Rubone View Post
                  Actually not quite true either. The spacer is only needed for '48 and up frames which have a lower front motor mount (which matches the new for '48 Panhead engine and all subsequent engines including the EVO). Motor mounts share common locations from '30-47 with 48U models being the odd leftover. Then '48 up share a new front location. All OHV and BTSV frames through '47 share dimensions on engine mounting.
                  Oh yeah, I guess I biffed that.

So that leads me to another question: I know a Pan don't fit in a Knuck frame without surgery or a ball bat. I've never tried to do it myself, though. Does the motor itself not fit, or is it the motor plus the spacer (which I assume one would put at the rear if installing a later motor into an earlier frame) that makes the Pan too tall for its new home?

And yes, I realize this is all heresy and not at all restorative in nature.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Slocombe View Post
                    VL and Knuck have the same engine seating platform. Panheads had the front mount lowered so a Pan or Shovel engine will not sit flush on VL or Knuck frames. H-D had a spacer under the front motor mount of 1948 U models to compensate for the lowered Panhead mount.
                    Be sure to visit;
                    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Actually what HD did in 1948 was to rotate the Panhead engine forward 3 degrees apparently to help with seatpost area clearance. If you put a panhead case up to a knucklehead case there is no height difference but the angle of the milled motor mount deck is slightly different.

Jerry

Comment

That's a revelation to me, Jerry!

It might explain some of my mistakes...

...Cotten
                        AMCA #776
                        Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Working...
                        X