68 Genny shovel oil tank repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 68 Genny shovel oil tank repair

I was on a run a while back, and a mate sidles up next to me and says “ya know that tranny you rebuilt for me last year, well I think the main seal has failed and I'm thinking about renaming the bike the Exon Valdez. I said lets go and have a look.
    I got down amongst the dirt and leaves with a light. Hmmm? there's a lot of oil hanging from the oil tank and the starter motor is never going to rust...ever.
    The good news is, I cant see any oil leaking from the gearbox seal. The bad news is that I think your oil tank is cracked.

We have another run in a couple of weeks so he delivered the bike here for me to inspect and fix the pesky oil leak. Removed the oil tank and cleaned it for inspection.

PB100012.jpg

PB100013.jpg

Found the culprit. This picture is taken through the oil filter hole. The crack is 3/8” long and across the end of the factory weld that holds the bracket to the bottom of the oil tank.

PB100016.jpg

PB100018.jpg

Crack runs under this bracket. How to get this done right?

PB100021.jpg
    Steve Little
    Upper Yarra Valley. Victoria.
    Australia.
    AMCA member 1950

PB100024.jpg

PB100026.jpg

PB100028.jpg

PB100029.jpg

No longer the Exon Valdez.
    Attached Files
    Steve Little
    Australia.
    AMCA member 1950

Comment

What did you do to clean the inside of the tank?

Comment

Degreaser and h,p Karcher washer, followed by parts wash solvent and high pressure Karcher.
        Steve Little
        Australia.
        AMCA member 1950

Comment

Sounds like a good system. I'm very cautious about welding a tank that can explode.

Comment

Working...
          X