1970 FL horn and handle bars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1970 FL horn and handle bars

Well I'm in need of a little of the groups expertise. Just drug a 1970 FL home, decent bike but has had a few thing done I thinking need to be undo. I'm going to do a restore on it for the wife to ride with the group and for me to take a few longer trip on when she's not riding, came with OEM saddles and tour pack ,yea). It has a set of split handle bars with what I think are about 72 controls, vertical switch style, no holes, wires and throttle cable are external. The turn signals only flash when the button is held in. It also has a HD horn mounted on the front of the frame at the crash bar mount area, doesn't look like it was born there.
    Questions are as follows: Are the correct handle bars two piece, right side internal throttle with a "collar" at the end of the grip, four surface applied switches with all wires/cables internal, one horn button, one starter button, one left /right signal rocker, one high/low beam rocker?
    Is that the proper way for the signals to work or is there an issue?
    What is the correct horn and location, someone said it should be in the triple clamp area.
    If anyone has any of the correct stuff lying around and wants to part with it let me know as well.
    Thanks for your reply in advance

You're correct about the handlebars except there is no collar at the end. There is a chrome plug that goes on the end of the grip. I'm not 100% sure on the switches but I believe they should be a push button on each side (horn and starter) and two toggle/rocker (not exactly sure how to describe them) switches (hi/lo beam and signals)

Comment

Originally posted by cdndewey View Post
      You're correct about the handlebars except there is no collar at the end. There is a chrome plug that goes on the end of the grip. I'm not 100% sure on the switches but I believe they should be a push button on each side (horn and starter) and two toggle/rocker (not exactly sure how to describe them) switches (hi/lo beam and signals)
      the collars I was referring to are in front of the grips, looks like a large wedding band? My Chief has them if that helps..

Comment

If the "bands" have two screws in them the bars are off an early K-Model. They used two piece bars with the '49 type retaining band. Are they high Buckhorn type?
        Robbie
        Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Robbie, maybe I muddied the water so to be clear, I don't have the correct handle bars now, I'm trying to figure out what I need to be looking for to be correct on the 1970 FL(H). The same may go for the horn. Do you know if the collars/bands perform any function in relation to the internal throttle system? I know little about this era of bike but for the wife to ride, it had to have electric start as she's not big enough to kick a big bike and I'm not going to kick two of them every time we stop, it looks a lot like her '10 deluxe as well. She took it round the block a couple of times before tear down started and was OK with it so I got that part right!!!
          Last edited by glasscat; 11-05-2017, 07:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by glasscat View Post
            Robbie, maybe I muddied the water so to be clear, I don't have the correct handle bars now, I'm trying to figure out what I need to be looking for to be correct on the 1970 FL(H). The same may go for the horn. Do you know if the collars/bands perform any function in relation to the internal throttle system? I know little about this era of bike but for the wife to ride, it had to have electric start as she's not big enough to kick a big bike and I'm not going to kick two of them every time we stop, it looks a lot like her '10 deluxe as well. She took it round the block a couple of times before tear down started and was OK with it so I got that part right!!!
            The collars you are talking about are just to form a smooth transition from the OD of the bar to the OD of the grip.

Comment

That helps some, are they built onto the bar, applied to the bar, or part of the throttle assembly? Also do they have a specific name I o
              could use to search online. I'm coming off a little stupid in the thread but humility is a byproduct of a lack of knowledge here. Thanks for the help all.

Comment

As a reminder, the horn issue. Found a couple of videos on the web of very original FL"s none had an exposed factory horn as best as I could tell. Anyone know the type and location of a factory 1970 FL(H)?

Comment

The horn belongs inside the headlight nacelle, hanging from the top triple tree with a rubber mounted bracket.
                  Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by glasscat View Post
                    That helps some, are they built onto the bar, applied to the bar, or part of the throttle assembly? Also do they have a specific name I o
                    could use to search online. I'm coming off a little stupid in the thread but humility is a byproduct of a lack of knowledge here. Thanks for the help all.
                    They're an interference fit on the bar. They're out there somewhere, as I bought some on e-Bay a couple years ago.

Comment

thanks for the help, found a set of bars with collars and repop switches as well as a correct repop horn set up, bars and lots of other bits are at chrome now.

Comment

Working...
                      X