1966 Fuel Tanks??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1966 Fuel Tanks??

I just picked a nice set of ‘66 Shovel 3-1/2 gal.split tanks (repaints with L77-’78 emblems). I’m not sure if the left tank is a ’66. I understand the ‘66s are 1-year only with right-side petcock (both 3-1/2 & 5 gal. tanks?). My ’41-’84 parts manual does not list ’66 only tanks though I may not have the correct parts manual. Obviously, the left tank would have the vented cap and the right a non-vented cap for a right-side petcock setup. I am trying to get info and finding correct caps (I like the tall style Eaton caps!)

My Questions are.
    1) Were the fill bungs reversed for the ’66 only tanks or were they different bungs all together? As compared to the left-side petcock split tanks with right vented cap (61102-36) and left non-vented cap (61103-65)?
    2) If different; does anyone know the cap part numbers? Or do I just order the normal year caps and reverse for the ’66 setup…..

Thanks,
    William
    Attached Files
    William Edwards, AMCA #10035

Attend the 2019 Southern National Meet at Denton Farmpark, NC, 17-18 May 2019
    http://www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com/

Since the left tank has no petcock, it would appear to be a 66 as well.
    Regardless of which side the petcock is on, the left cap should be non-vented. This way, when the tanks are full and the bike is on the side stand, the fuel doesn't transfer and run out on the ground from the resulting lower elevation of the left cap. An issue anyone with 64 and older tanks is far too familiar with as they use vented caps on both sides.
    In your pictures, the fillers and vent hose crossover connections, all seem correct for 66.
    Happy Motoring

Comment

Makes since Hercumile, thanks

Comment

You cannot reverse the caps, the neck depth and tangs on caps are specific to the side they fit.
        Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thanks Robbie, I understood the bung/cap fitment relationship. I just wondered if the MOCO switched bungs for the ’66 only tanks plus I got wrapped up in flow from left to right tank. After Hercumile’ response, it dawned on me (assumed) that the left tank (non-vented) will burp air through the cross-over from the right tank.

Comment

IMG_0804.jpgBoth tanks appear to be correct 66. What Robbie said is correct, Non-vented on the left, simple reason, if the tanks are full of fuel the left if it was vented would leak fuel through the vent hole when the bike is on the side stand. The original caps are quite different in construction, left suits a deeper neck. The MOCO made them fool proof.
            Don't forget that there are an upper and lower hose connecting the tanks together, so no burping required!
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Wazza.w; 12-24-2017, 09:57 AM. Reason: Add photo

Comment

Your '85 parts book shows the parts they were selling that year, not was used in 1966. You have to be year specific when using a parts book for reference. For instance if you use a 1966 parts book for reference for a 1965 you're going to have problems.
              Be sure to visit;
              http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
              Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
              Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
                Your '85 parts book shows the parts they were selling that year, not was used in 1966. You have to be year specific when using a parts book for reference. For instance if you use a 1966 parts book for reference for a 1965 you're going to have problems.
                There is a small problem in what you have stated, The parts book which I have covers 1965 to 1969, so last year for the Panhead (65), then onto to the Generator Shovelhead, It then notes the years that the particular part was used, some of the parts go way back in years.

Mine is a re-print of an original HD manual and has become a well used reference as the "exploded drawings" are extremely handy.

Comment

I'm with Chris as far as restoration info.If you want what will work on a runner the later book will work but correct restoration info for earlier years is not always correct

Comment

The closest published parts book is '68. "66 and '67 only were supplements to the '65 book and aren't illustrated.
                    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by Wazza.w View Post
                      There is a small problem in what you have stated, The parts book which I have covers 1965 to 1969, so last year for the Panhead (65), then onto to the Generator Shovelhead, It then notes the years that the particular part was used, some of the parts go way back in years.

Mine is a re-print of an original HD manual and has become a well used reference as the "exploded drawings" are extremely handy.
                      For instance if you use the intake clamps for a 1965 shown in the 1966 catalog you will lose points in judging.
                      Be sure to visit;
                      http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                      Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                      Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
                        For instance if you use the intake clamps for a 1965 shown in the 1966 catalog you will lose points in judging.
                        Yes, I understand what you are saying. My book lists the part numbers for the various years with drawings, Some times you cam pick the differences just by looking at the drawings.

Comment

I have a quick question. I have tanks exactly like these. I assumed that these are repop because the mounting tabs are not welded all the way around. when I compared them to recent OEM tanks both tabs are welded all the way around. I though it would be odd to refab a one year tank.

Comment

I don't think anyone has repopped the 66 tanks.
                            VPH-D

Comment

Working...
                            X