Going price for a 1972 AMF FLH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going price for a 1972 AMF FLH

I have seen a clean 1972 Electra Glide with period (1960) accessories and supposedly a rebuilt motor. (He has receipts.) What is the going price today for an AMF Harley? I have seen 66-69's now for 10-$12000. He wants more than that. What were some of the problems with them? I remember having a 1976 Electra glide I bought around 1982 and having problems keeping it running.

I have no idea what they are worth but in my opinion 1972 was the best of the Shovelhead FLH's. If it is original paint I could see it bringing over that. Jerry

Comment

AMF owned the company from 69 to 81, production went up and quality went down.
      Scroll down to the 70's to see what they are selling for - https://www.ebay.com/sch/Motorcycles...p2045573.m1684

Comment

The eBay sales history is only one indicator of value. Notice very few (none) examples of '72 FLHs having even been listed. Take this info with a grain of salt.

Comment

If you can buy 66 thru 69 for 10 to 12 you better jump on those, they are worth way more than the 70's, with the exception of the 1970.

Comment

Two brothers in my chapter both have picked up OP 72s in the last year. They were in the $5-7k range. Cone Shovels are never going to be worth more than Generator types.
            VPH-D

Comment

Jerry, Why do you consider 72 to be the best Shovelhead FLH's?

Comment

VPH-D Were they reliable?
                Last edited by Michael J Handel; 10-17-2017, 07:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael J Handel View Post
                  Jerry, Why do you consider 72 to be the best Shovelhead FLH's?
                  Mainly due to having the best rear drum setup ever made on the rear and the first year disc on the front - finally HD was coming of age in the brake department. Even though AMF owned the company the 72's had very little problems often associated with the later AMF bikes -- 1979 was the worst. Even though AMF bought them in the late 60,s they kind of let HD run themselves for awhile. Jerry

Comment

'72s were not without their problems however. I replaced several engines and sets of cases due to left case cast in inserts coming loose. Some '70 and '71 models suffered the same fate but it seems that '72 was the worst. But overall the quality wasn't as bad as later years. The '73 oil pumps and hydraulic lifter issues continued for years. The EPA regs and DOT standardization caused their own issues with carbs, timing, and emissions issues.
                    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by Rubone View Post
                      ...replaced several engines and sets of cases due to left case cast in inserts coming loose. Some '70 and '71 models suffered the same fate...
                      Robbie, You may have explained my '71 FLH. I bought mine 11 years ago from 2nd owner after he had passed. His wife tried to explain but could not 100% remember why the bottom end was replaced.......with a '79, vin 2AxxxxxH9 (yikes to Jerry's comment). Maybe not the best year; but, she's had no real issues. I've kept her adjusted, well oiled and under 65mph. William
                      William Edwards, AMCA #10035

Attend the 2019 Southern National Meet at Denton Farmpark, NC, 17-18 May 2019
                      http://www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com/

Comment

79s were the worst year as far as quality issues go. I did more warranty paperwork that year than any other by a huge margin. Overall, most of the cone Shovels were poorly made machines, and personally, I think the Sportsters were worse.
                        VPH-D

Comment

Thanks Jerry and Rubone for the info. I also had a 1976 Flh and after trying different timing settings, carb adjustments, plugs by both me and the dealer it still would not run right. A lot of pinging and not even under load. I had to go to the airport and run 1/2 avgas in tank to be able to ride it.

Comment

It sound like your advance mechanism was frozen in the full advanced position, another common problem.
                            VPH-D

Comment

Hey Michael, an AMCA member was selling a 1974 OP/rebuilt FLH Striper for $9500.00 This just about less than a month ago. It's currently listed on Craigs List, and in the wonderful state of Maine. Listing is *(1974 Harley Davidson FLH). Also, it was listed in the AMCA for sale ads. Good Luck. *M.A.D.*
                              00J0J_aXIufCpOk8l_600x450.jpg 00d0d_iscSG72311H_600x450.jpg
                              Last edited by JoJo357; 10-19-2017, 10:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X