Shovelhead Vin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shovelhead Vin

Does anyone know if Harley in the 80's put any VIN #'s on the left case? I was looking at an 84 superglide yesterday and the motor didn't have the VIN in the usual place... There was a number on the left case (positioned on the top of the case just below the cylinder base) and on the right case it had three or four starts where the vin usually is, looked factory not shad tree. The bike looks untouched... factory oil line crimps etc.

Thanks!

From my recollection they moved it to the front of the right side case in the 70's about where the relay would be on old motors but nothing on the left except bell numbers. That is the way my 85 Super Glide is also the frame has the vin on a flat spot on the right side of the neck.

Tom (Rollo) Hardy
    AMCA #12766

Comment

Originally posted by sieber60 View Post
      Does anyone know if Harley in the 80's put any VIN #'s on the left case? I was looking at an 84 superglide yesterday and the motor didn't have the VIN in the usual place... There was a number on the left case (positioned on the top of the case just below the cylinder base) and on the right case it had three or four starts where the vin usually is, looked factory not shad tree. The bike looks untouched... factory oil line crimps etc.

Thanks!
      That is the correct position of the motor VIN for 84 Shovels.

Comment

Originally posted by panz4ever View Post
        That is the correct position of the motor VIN for 84 Shovels.
        Thank you for the reply.

Comment

I have one in the shop that is just like you described Sieber60!

Comment

Working...
          X