1973-1981 Harleh Flh wheel truing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1973-1981 Harleh Flh wheel truing

I have a question about offset on the truing of the disc brake wheels on a 1977 Harley FLH. Are the hubs suppose to centered with the rim or do they have an offset? If they have an offset, what is the offset distance on these? I am getting conflicting answers with one being the hub being centered to the rim and another one with the hub being .125" offset with the rim, which would result in a measurement difference of .250" when measured from rim to the hub disc from side to side.

All measurements are taken from a straight edge being held against the disc brake flange down to the part of the rim where the spokes fit thru.

Also what is the hub width from disc brake flange to disc brake flange? This measurement is also in question being anywhere from 6.140" to around 7.5"

Thank you,
    Ryan

Hi Ryan.
    I haven't worked on a late model Shovel for 20+ years and cant remember. That information in my brain, got deleted to make room for something else. I only have early workshop manuals now, and only go up to 1968. Hopefully some body will flick open a 70's manual, and help you out.
    Steve Little
    Upper Yarra Valley. Victoria.
    Australia.
    AMCA member 1950

Comment

Steve,
      Your brain sounds like Homer Simpson's brain like when he learned how to golf, he forgot to know how to drive. Lol

I bought several 1981 nos wire wheels that the hubs are all offset .125" So I get a .250" difference when measuring from one side to the other side. I am measuring from the disc flange to the area of the rim that holds the spokes, the thinnest part of the rim.
      My manual states that the hub should be centered, but all ten of the wheels I purchased are offset. I bought the exact same wheels as these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/43086-81-Har...53.m1438.l2649

Now reading back through the posts, I found this one that had the same issue, so now I am confused:

http://www.antiquemotorcycle.org/bbo...t-Wheel-Offset

I will measure my bike wheels this weekend to see what is going on. The wheels I bought are super nice and would like check the runout and just bolt them on, but I will just have to compare them to what I have on mine. I know these have the smaller valve stem holes, but not sure to drill them out or just leave them alone. The coin flip said to just leave them alone and will probably do just that.

Thanks,
      Ryan
      Last edited by ryan; 07-13-2017, 11:41 PM.

Comment

I figured the offset out. They are not suppose to be centered like my manual states. This post I read back through and found was correct:

http://www.antiquemotorcycle.org/bbo...t-Wheel-Offset

So thank you from way back then!

Comment

Working...
        X