Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1977 FLH Confederate Edition Bike

Hello,
    I have a 1977 FLH Confederate Edition bike that is one of only 33 registered bikes that are still around. The registered list includes all makes including Sporters and the FX series bikes.
    So here is my dilemma, I have some one that wants to trade me even up within a 1948 Indian Chief for my 1977 FLH C.E. bike. If my bike was a standard 1977 FLH, there would be no hesitation nor question about trading him. One other thing about my 1977 FLH C.E. is that it is an originally sidecar bike, missing the sidecar of coarse.
    My bike is origin except for the sheet metal paint. The Indian I really do not know much about except it is a number matching frame and engine a d seems to run well, but is nothing special except it is an Indian.
    Any thoughts would help me out greatly.

Thanks a bunch!

your bike loses valvue not been orginial paint ,but is a rare with numbers , what else is special to this model ? the 48 chief not seeing any photos must be worth about $22 g ?a standard 77 FLH maybe around $ 9 g , Rob

Comment

Rob,
      I feel the same way about the values of the bikes, that is why I said if it was a standard Shovelhead that it would go based on value a lone.
      I know original paint devalues a bike, but not all bikes happen to have original paint on their sheet metal, especially the now controversial, Harley C.E. bikes according to this write up: http://www.motorcycleclassics.com/cl...1#PageContent1

Now about the 1977 C.E.:
      I have owned the 1977 Harley bike since 1994 and I do not want this to cloud my judgement, as well as not being able to find a direct value on this machine also plays into the judgement of my decision. Now, I do own a set of original decals for the 1977 and the guy, whom wants to trade me the Indian, owns a set of original paint C.E. tanks and fenders. The 1977 has 15k miles on it, the chrome looks like new and I also have the original, new take off including the sidecar, tires with about 20 miles on them. I also have access to the original sidecar, which was sold by the original owner with another bike he owned. I did buy the bike from the original owner, who asked to have it painted black by the dealership when he bought new. Funny thing is, he did not have the fairing nor the hard bags painted black, so they all still have the original paint on them which still looks new.

Now about the Indian: It has been sitting in a museum for a about the past 30 plus years. It does get started twice a year, but has not been ridden since display. It is yellow, which has no bearing on anything. Other than what I just typed; I haven't any other information on the Chief except the bike and motor were rebuilt by a Harley dealership, so who knows what is right or wrong with the rebuild on the bike.

Other than the Indian being one of the most common vintage Indian Chiefs on the market, that is all the information I have on the two bikes at this time.

Comment

All that makes a confederate bike is decals and paint, NO SPECIAL VIN #, BIG MISTAKE ON HARLEYS PART. I KNOW WHERE A CLONED ONE IS AND YOU CANT TELL THE DIFFERENCE

Comment

You have a repainted 77 Shovelhead, which I don't think is ever going to be worth much. I have a 73 FX I bought in 1979 which is never going to be worth much, either.
          There is some interest in OP cone Shovel dressers, but that's about it. I sold them new, and the 77/78 was about the high point.
          VPH-D

Comment

Originally posted by 36 knuck man View Post
            All that makes a confederate bike is decals and paint, NO SPECIAL VIN #, BIG MISTAKE ON HARLEYS PART. I KNOW WHERE A CLONED ONE IS AND YOU CANT TELL THE DIFFERENCE
            I know the paint is the only difference in the bikes, but I do know that the serial number does indicate whether the bike is indeed a CE bike or not. Granted, one cannot visually tell if it is CE bike just by looking at serial number meaning nothing just pops right out at ya, but you do have to do your research.
            Yes, this may just be a repainted cone shovelhead; do not forget to add AMF, that may never be worth much, but this is why I created this post.
            I just did not want trade off a bike, that may be worth a little bit; for an average run of the mill most commonly owned Indian out there. Not to put Indian down by any means, but the one he is wanting to trade can be bought daily because it is one of the most common Indians out there for sale.

Comment

Originally posted by VPH-D View Post
              There is some interest in OP cone Shovel dressers, but that's about it. I sold them new, and the 77/78 was about the high point.
              VPH-D
              I am assuming OP is original paint dressers? I know the shovels are not going to be high sellers, but was not sure on the value of the CE bikes.

Comment

In today's P.C. climate, a Confederate edition Harley will have very limited interest. Even if your bike was O.P. and fully documented, I would take the '48 Chief every day of the week. Personally, and with all due respect, I can't imagine anyone trading a '48 Chief for a '77FLH; even if it was Elvis Presley's last Harley.
                Eric Smith
                AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
                  In today's P.C. climate, a Confederate edition Harley will have very limited interest. Even if your bike was O.P. and fully documented, I would take the '48 Chief every day of the week. Personally, and with all due respect, I can't imagine anyone trading a '48 Chief for a '77FLH; even if it was Elvis Presley's last Harley.
                  I understand exactly, that is what is making me Leary, like what am I missing? I do not want this transaction "to be where two fools met." I am hesitant because, "what am I missing here?"
                  The guy has a very large collection and spent a large penny restoring all the 1976 Liberty models and also the 1978 Anniversary models. These cannot be worth much more than mine, at least I would not think anyways, but I am really not sure.
                  I guess if the Indian starts, or even if is does not by chance, and the paperwork is in order how can I go wrong, but I still have the feeling that something is wrong with this picture, at least somewhere, but him restoring the 1976 and 1978 models makes me think he is legitimate with the trade, maybe crazy, but at least legitimate. It just could be the fact he has more money than brains or he really cares more about displaying Harley history, but I really have no idea.
                  If everything does in fact work out, I will do the trade and sell the Indian, to finish my knucklehead and 65 panhead. If the Indian had a leaf spring frontend, I would keep it, because to me, the girder frontend looks like it hit a tree or something.

Comment

At some point in any deal, you have to go with your gut, and heart. Apparently, you don't have much passion for the Indian, other than it's monetary potential. With that in mind, I don't think you're going to make a good deal. I don't mean to come off so harsh, but I can't get jiggly with your monetary motivation, and I think the guy with the Indian is going to see that.
                    Eric Smith
                    AMCA #886

Comment

At some point in any deal, you have to go with your gut, and heart. Apparently, you don't have much passion for the Indian, other than it's monetary potential. With that in mind, I don't think you're going to make a good deal. I don't mean to come off so harsh, but I can't get jiggly with your monetary motivation, and I think the guy with the Indian is going to see that.
                      Eric,
                      Thank you very much for your replies. I do in fact would love to have an Indian, although I am not to keen on this year of chief. It may only be because of the frontend only, but I could always replace it with a leaf spring frontend just for my liking. I would also have to round up a sidecar, which I would have to do with any Indian anyways because of my left leg issue along with adding an electric starter and some kind of reverse. My cheap CE already has these options, except for a sidecar. I have a Harley sidecar, but it is on my 69 FLHB that also has reverse.

I guess if I do the trade, and want to keep the Indian, I would have to through around 15k at it straight away to be able to ride it and that is not including the frontend or have anything else wrong with it.
                      This should really not be a hard decision to go ahead with the trade if everything is in order with both bikes, but I still do not understand why one would trade roughly a 20k bike for a roughly 9k bike. I really need to take some one that knows their Indians so I am not getting jipped somehow because I really do not know enough about Indians, although I would really like to enjoy one. I will do some research and go from there.

Comment

If starting is going to be an issue, then you don't want an Indian. Just based on the Indians, and H-Ds I have owned, I think Indians are a bit harder to start. Indians have a longer stroke than a Harley, and that may be the difference. When they are well timed, and maintained, they start reliably, and can easily be a one kick bike.

Regarding the girder fork, I think that would grow on you, and I've always liked the way they handled.

Indian sidecars are considerably more expensive and rarer that H-D sidecars.

A friend with mobility issues put an electric starter on his Bonneville Chief. Worked very well, and allowed him to pursue his favorite pastime of bar-hopping. I never cared for the looks of the electric starter assembly, but it served it's purpose.

Like any old motorcycle, it can be a work in progress and you don't have to do everything at one time. Keep us posted on what you decide.
                        Eric Smith
                        AMCA #886

Comment

Eric!

If Indians are harder to start, its because more people are watching you.

....Cotten
                          AMCA #776
                          Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
                            Eric!

If Indians are harder to start, its because more people are watching you.

....Cotten
                            You're right about that; seems to be one of motorcycling's more irritating bromides
                            Eric Smith
                            AMCA #886

Comment

You're right about that; seems to be one of motorcycling's more irritating bromides
                              Because its true.

Especially for Indians, since they get more attention.

But it irritates Harleyriders too,

If it takes their attention away....

...Cotten
                              Last edited by T. Cotten; 06-02-2017, 05:33 PM.
                              AMCA #776
                              Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Working...
                              X