Clutch Adjustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch Adjustment

82 FLH. Yes, I'm asking a very neub question. Completely due to my ignorance, I slightly turned one or two of the three spring adjusting nuts on the clutch. Now they extend out just a little too much and rub the derby cover gasket. I'm proficient with everything else but engine/clutch internals, but at 61, it's never too late to learn. Is there a simple procedure to adjust these to get the clearance back between the nuts and the derby cover?

I admit it, I screwed up. And yes, you can bring out jokes, but show a little mercy.
    Attached Files

Those are not Harley clutch parts for starters

Comment

Thanks, now I know why it doesn't match the service manual. Anyone have ideas on how to adjust it?

Comment

I went to Oley last weekend, beautiful two days. During the course of the meet, I found out that to adjust it, I could turn the spring adjusting nuts in so the outer plate does not wobble when the engine is cranked over. I put a dial indicator on the frame and measured the high and low sides, then turned two of the nuts in until the dial indicator was roughly the same all the away around. See the two pictures.Clutch High.jpg. Sorry that the one picture is a little blurry.

After I get the old gasket material cleaned off, I'll put the primary cover back on and see if there's enough clearance between the nuts and the derby cover gasket.
        Attached Files

Comment

Now you have the potential for too much spring pressure on the spring plate. How easy does it kick over? If as before then your okay but if you have to really stand on it you may have it too tight and your clutch adjustment won't be right. Did that set up not come with adjustment procedures. If not maybe if you know who made it you can contact them for correct adjustment procedure.

Tom (Rollo) Hardy
          AMCA#12766

Comment

Rollo,
            Thanks for the tip. I figured that since the nuts were turned out and striking the derby cover, I could turn them in just enough to even out the plate and it shouldn't be too tight. I only had to turn two nuts in by 3/4 turn. The engine still turned over fine.
            About 24 years ago, I loaned the bike to my brother for a few years and during that time he had the clutch put in. Unfortunately he doesn't remember what brand it was. I've started to look on-line at various clutch manufacturers to see if I can match up the clutch and then obtain the proper adjustment procedures.
            John

Comment

If it spins as it should with the nuts a little tighter and it isn't hitting the cover and your clutch works properly then I would say you are okay and good to go.

Tom (Rollo) Hardy
              AMCA#1276

Comment

Working...
              X