1966 FL DC-7 Carb - Buy Rebuilt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1966 FL DC-7 Carb - Buy Rebuilt?

Hey Oh Wise Ones. My old DC-7 is coughing and sputtering and leaking. I've seen several outfits (one in VT) selling rebuilt units on eBay in the $300 - $325 range. Has anybody bought one and if so has it worked out. Anything I should look for? Would like to keep the bike stock so don't really want to go down the aftermarket route.

Thanks,

Jim
    Jim
    1966 FL

Jim!

Gaskets and such shouldn't be a quality concern.
    If your float has swollen to where it sticks, which is unusual considering the wide clearances in the DC, then common repops may be only a temporary solution with your local fuels.

DCs are phenomenally friendly carbs, so coughing and sputtering may instead be a common manifold issue.
    I suggest bubble-testing the manifold assembly (http://virtualindian.org/11techleaktest.html), and using only viton O-rings, such as offered by JAMES Gaskets, and only OEM-style clamps with #10 screw fasteners.
    (Beware that many stainless offerings on the market are metric straps, and slightly too wide, but can be ground to size.)

....Cotten
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 04-09-2015, 04:43 PM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Thanks for that Cotten.

Jim

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
      Jim!

Gaskets and such shouldn't be a quality concern.
      If your float has swollen to where it sticks, which is unusual considering the wide clearances in the DC, then common repops may be only a temporary solution with your local fuels.

DCs are phenomenally friendly carbs, so coughing and sputtering may instead be a common manifold issue.
      I suggest bubble-testing the manifold assembly (http://virtualindian.org/11techleaktest.html), and using only viton O-rings, such as offered by JAMES Gaskets, and only OEM-style clamps with #10 screw fasteners.
      (Beware that many stainless offerings on the market are metric straps, and slightly too wide, but can be ground to size.)

....Cotten
      Jim
      1966 FL

Comment

What Cotten said. Sputtering and coughing back through the carb on my '67 was a problem till the manifold leaks were fixed and the ignition cleaned up and re-timed. "Carburetor problems" are often symptoms of other issues and good for sales at S&S! Your bike has worked with stock parts for almost 50 years, no reason to "upgrade" now, good luck, JF in NC

Comment

Working...
        X