rust on inside of spoked rims

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rust on inside of spoked rims

Just wondered if anyone had any good ideas on how to keep rims from rusting under the rim strips on spoked rims?
    Just wax is the best I can think of, cause petroleum products will deteriorate the rubber.
    Last edited by markcoc; 09-08-2013, 10:05 PM.

I brush silver paint on that area and let it dry a few days before I add the rubber rim stip.

Comment

I do the same as upsrod; I put tape over the spoke holes (on the outside of the rim) and then lots of paint on the inside.
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

Just wipe down the inside of the rim with lacquer thinner until it's spotless and then paint it with Glyptal. The same stuff you use on your engine and tranny cases. Great stuff. Bob L
        AMCA #3149
        http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

Everything said before is good. It is amazing how a wheel can lok fine on the outside and be rusted badly on the inside. I always do the usual metal smoothing work I would do for any other surface, and use rust converter primer, because I can't see microscopic rust particles. Then a good coating of choice. Because our older wheels use tubes, they should be pefectly smmoth. Don't ask how I know. And does anyone know why sometimes when I am typing a reply that after I get about 4 or 5 lines in, it won't let me go back and make corrections? Mike

Comment

For me, Glyptal has become 'The Breakfast of Champions"! (Metaphorically speaking - No, I don't eat it...). I have found many uses in addition to electrical tasks for this fine coating...
            Bill Pedalino
            Huntington, New York
            AMCA 6755

Comment

Mike, does it just not show a cursor when you click back to make corrections? That happens to me sometimes. I just click where I want to backspace/type... whatever and it seems to kick things back into gear. Worst case I guess you can edit your post after you've put it on the thread.

Thanks Bob and Bill for the Glyptal endorsement. I just may give that a try the next time I'm working on rims.
              Cory Othen
              Membership#10953

Comment

I didn't think of Glyptal, but that would be the way to go.
                Eric Smith
                AMCA #886

Comment

I see builders of spoked wheels for car seal the inside of the spokes with silicone. It is flexable and will keep the water out.
                  Be sure to visit;
                  http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                  Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                  Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Working...
                  X