Frame mounted hand shift.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame mounted hand shift.

I have a stock 84 FLHP that I want to convert to a rocker clutch, frame mounted (police) hand shift. I was told HD stopped making them in 79. V Twin has a kit part #22-0711 that I have been told hasn"t been in stock for over a year. JP sells the parts on pg 193 of the Vintage catalog. I was also told this wouldn't work because of differences in the frame and transmission top. If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated!
    Thank You!

I think if you just want to use it as a banger shifter (like your foot shift) it would be no problem. However if you wanted it to be a true hand shift with a gate then, no it won't work with your trans. You'd need a drum shift style trans,

Comment

Thank You. I'm not very mechanically inclined and have never driven a hand shift. I assume by banger you mean I would rock the clutch and shift just like hand/toe through the gears? The kit I talked about through V Twin had a "straight" shift gate. I see the original is notched for the gears. I would be happy with this as long as it looked like the original style. How can I accomplish this?

Thanks again!

Comment

The straight shift gate is for the banger shift as I call it. All you're doing is replacing the foot action with hand action. That is one rearward and three forward I believe and a return to the neutral/centre position with every shift. The one with the notched gate would require an earlier transmission with a drun shifter.

Comment

I can purchase a rocker clutch kit through JP. Can you tell me what parts and or numbers I would need to do this and where I can find them? Thank You.

Comment

Working...
          X