difference between 1966 and 1969 heads?
Collapse
X
-
The short reach plug shovelheads with the '66 cast in the vertical surface by the spark plug hole also have a date code cast into them. Pretty hard to see when the rocker boxes are in place, the code is a month and 2 digit for the year, cast into the top of the head, right next to the short rocker box stud and behind the push rod tubes. It will be something like 5 68 for May of 1968 as an example. You might be able to make it out if you poke a flashlight into the area under the rocker box and behind the push rod tubes. These date codes were used untill about '78, I believe.
-
I'm a little late on this I know, but I've been without a computer for a while. The one thing in the area of the cylinder head that is '66 only is the front rocker box has no provision for a air cleaner bracket.
Leave a comment:
-
Looks like an old picture. Wonder how she has held up? Both of 'em. Mike
Leave a comment:
-
All my 65 thru 68 org paint, have left side, my 69 org paint, right side, thanks, Larry
Leave a comment:
-
My favorite Shovelhead picture........Attached Files
Leave a comment:
-
dumb error on my part, front drum on left 49 - 68. Right side thereafter. (Kinda hard to switch the drum brake from the right side to the right side, ain't it).drum brakes on right side through the 1968 model year (year that I have), right side thereafter thru the 1972 model year.
Leave a comment:
-
This thread got me thinking since I know my '65 has a Left side drum, so I googled 1967-68 FLH and all pictures have LEFT side front drums, then 1969-70 FLH and all pictures have RIGHT side drum brakes. How's that for scientific (Google) data?
Leave a comment:
-
drum brakes on right side through the 1968 model year (year that I have), right side thereafter thru the 1972 model year.
The "-66" casting number on the cylinder heads remained, I believe, until they went to long thread plugs and then had a "-76". There are later variations also with which I am not familiar, the main difference being the fins on top of the head between the rocker boxes.
Leave a comment:
-
Shovelheads are definitely not my area of expertise, Dewey. I used to take them out of their crates and set um up in the '70s, but didn't study the year-by-years. I can set the points in one with my eyes closed, tho!Originally posted by cdndewey View PostThat's the first I ever heard of that one Gerry. All my history shows 69 as being the first year for the right hand brake.
Leave a comment:
-
That's the first I ever heard of that one Gerry. All my history shows 69 as being the first year for the right hand brake.Originally posted by Sargehere View PostExplanation I was told was that moving the front brake over to the right side was to help counterbalance the new alternator (1970) and longer mainshaft, wider primary. The bikes were getting left-heavy, and moving the brake over was a decision that took some time to develop, and didn't appear until 72(?).
Leave a comment:
-
Explanation I was told was that moving the front brake over to the right side was to help counterbalance the new alternator (1970) and longer mainshaft, wider primary. The bikes were getting left-heavy, and moving the brake over was a decision that took some time to develop, and didn't appear until 72(?).Originally posted by junkyarddog View Post68 was 1st year, some 72 had it also.
Jim
Leave a comment:
-
I have to disagree with you Jim. According to my parts book and this 68 ad I have and posted, has the brake on the left side.Originally posted by junkyarddog View Post68 was 1st year, some 72 had it also.
Jim
Leave a comment:
Leave a comment: