tool box bracket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tool box bracket

I'm trying to restore a '57 pan frame, was wondering if some body knows the correct location of the tool box bracket, and the welding locations, also the welding locations for the foot board mounts, Thanks Whitey

Get hold of Steve Little at Race Frame Engineering, he'll be able to tell you everything you need to know.

Comment

The 57 style Toolbox Bracket is an easy one. That is if you have a good straight original rear fender with an original hole for the third toolbox mount bolt and correct spacer that goes between the toolbox and fender. I've done a few and the best thing to do is mock the whole thing up with that correct original fender in place. If you just eye it up you might end up putting it too far forward and it will interfer with the oil feed line that comes out of the backside of the oil tank.
      Same thing with the footboard mounts. Mock the whole thing up and be sure you use the correct brackets and hardware all the way around. Look at an original frame and use the same type weld. And look at the weld that holds the tool box bracket on also and don't overweld yours. 46EL.

Comment

I have found that the location of the hole in the fender varies from fender to fender.
        Be sure to visit;
        http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
        Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
        Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

So if that is true then it is best to mock up the rear fender you plan on using along with the oil tank then place the toolbox and bracket.
          I know on most later style skirted Indian Chiefs that Fenders usually do not interchange from bike to bike very easily. The Frames were sweat welded and then the sheet metal was drilled to match the frame. Depending who mocked up the frame before welding or the condition of any jig used the holes varied from fender to fender because of the fnal location of the castings.

Comment

I studied this issue extensively when I was restoring my '52 frame--- I needed to know the exact placement of the horseshoe tool box bracket while re-attaching to the frame. While at the Dixon Meet a couple years ago, I carried a tape measure and checked the dimension from the rear of the oil tank to the front of the toolbox on every motorcycle in the years roughly 1952 (first year horseshoe bracket) to ... oh, '57 or so. Consistantly, that number was 3/4", after checking a couple dozen original motorcycles. I also had my good friend Chris check the dimension of that third hole on the collection of fenders he has, and measure that hole location in the fender. As he has posted, that number is NOT consistant.
            After all the research, I was able to come up with a definitive location as measured from other frame reference points to locate and weld the horseshoe bracket. My frame restoration man, 'Dick' at Wasco Frame, then used those dimensions on my frame, and recorded them for his future work. We also consulted the copy of the wishbone frame that you'll easily find on the internet, with illegible numbers, and satisfactorily determined the correct dimensions.
            The correct restoration procedure, if the fender and tool box are not original to the motorcycle as it came from the factory is this; locate and attach the toolbox mount bracket per frame blueprint dimensions, then assemble the oil tank/battery tray, rear fender, and tool box. If the third hole doesn't line up, remove the fender and repair the fender blanking off the hole. Mock it all up again, locate that third hole location, and re-drill it in the correct location.
            Be sure the distance from the rear of the oil tank to the front of the tool box is between 3/4" and 7/8".

Comment

Measurments for the toolbox bracket

scan0001.jpg

1952 to 1957 toolbox bracket measurements.
              Steve Little
              Upper Yarra Valley. Victoria.
              Australia.
              AMCA member 1950

Comment

Thanks for the imfo., now i'm waiting to find a toolbox

Comment

Working...
                X