48 Panhead Frame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 48 Panhead Frame

I know someone who has been looking for a real nice straight original late 48 pan Frame for 3 years now. I told him to take my late 49 to early 51 Frame and make it into a 48 Frame. I think the only major thing that needs to be done is to remove the Horn Mount Blocks and make the flattened area they were attached to round again? Any thoughts?

'48 frames saw a few minor changes over the course of the year but you're right in the thought that the horn mount blocks are the only major difference from '48 to '49.
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Comment

Hi.
      1948 Low tank mount has no curve in the bottom of the bracket. The curve was added in 1949 when the horn was brought down off the Springer and placed in front of the engine.
      The advance cable bracket for 1948 is down near the bends on the left Wishbone down tube instead of just under the neck.
      The top engine mount for early to mid 1948 has no strengthening bulge. This was added about mid production.
      No horn blocks or hornblock depression for 1948.
      The steering dampner dowel was not machined but was planned.
      2 years ago there where 3 good 1948 frames at Wauseon. I saw two of them make it to Davenport a month later.
      Regards Steve
      Steve Little
      Upper Yarra Valley. Victoria.
      Australia.
      AMCA member 1950

Comment

This guys 48EL was built from a basketcase many years ago and has a messed up straightleg frame. The bike has a little too much chrome like the primary and toolbox but those 2 things can easily be changed. The bike will never be judged and he just does not want to spend 4 grand on a frame. He has had the bike so long he doesn't have 4 grand tied up in the whole bike. Thanks Steve for pointing out the other differences I didn't think of. 46EL

Comment

This guys 48EL was built from a basketcase many years ago and has a messed up straightleg frame
          Then why not just a V-Twin frame! I've never seen any point in screwing up a good part to make a fake of something else. It always ends up with neither one being right.
          Robbie
          Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

That is exactly what I first suggested. But the old timer would be happier with an incorrect wishbone instead of a repop for half the cost?? That is just how some people think and feel I guess? 46EL

Comment

Is he into fixin' one up? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OEM-1...item45fa9f8bdb
              Cory Othen
              Membership#10953

Comment

Pop a new neck on that one.
                Be sure to visit;
                http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

It is a 1953 frame.
                  Steve Little
                  Upper Yarra Valley. Victoria.
                  Australia.
                  AMCA member 1950

Comment

I have a friend that will sell a very nice 48 frame--Just PM me--michael

Comment

Michael- He doesn't want to spend that kind of money on a frame. He paid less than that for the whole bike many years ago. He is 80 years young now and only rides the bike once or twice a year. I want 2900 for the real nice 50 frame I have. I just put on the toolbox strap and the two minor hairline cracks it had were just welded also. Other than that the frame is real nice with original neck and s/c loops intact. I had the frame at Oley and a few people were interested but nobody had any money. I also told him if he bought my frame I would do the whole frame swap if he gave me the messed up straightleg when I was done. Thanks for all your input. 46EL

Comment

I just saw this thread, sorry for the late reply.
                        My friend Dick at Wasco Frame has access to a pretty decent authentic 1948 frame. It will need some work, but it's the real deal. PM me here if you are interested, or email him directly and tell him Tom in Olympia sent you......
                        wascoframeinc@aol.com

Comment

I have a lead on a frame.
                          PM me.
                          Robbie
                          Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Robbie- I just found a 48 frame in PA along with a bullneck and a 38-39? basketcase fixerupper frame. Did you get the trans lever I sent you? 46EL

Comment

Working...
                            X