Restoring pan 1965

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restoring pan 1965

Dose anyone know of a good book on this year bike.

There's no book that I'm aware of specific to the 65 Pan. If there was it would probably be as thick as Palmers restoration book '65 is a challenging year to get right. A good number of first year/last year parts, single year stuff, etc, etc.

Palmer's book doesn't deal a lot with the 65 specifically but is still a book that should be in the library and is a great reference overall. Go to AMCA meets and look over '65's that are being judged and talk to those owners. Post questions here, etc. Most of the Panhead books out there can have issues with accuracy. You can only use them as rough guides IMHO.

Good to take your time and not do much until you study up a bit IMHO. Get parts manuals, period accessory manuals, factory photos, etc. Talk to other owners, etc. It will save a lot of money, trouble, and rework in the end.

Where are you located shovelhead?
    Last edited by rbenash; 04-30-2011, 09:14 AM.
    Ray
    AMCA #7140

Comment

I thought one of our members was putting a book together specific to the 65 FL Big Twin models. Was it George Marakis? I was looking forward to detailed info. My 65FLH has been a rider since I salvaged it twenty years ago, but having put well over 100,000 hard miles on it, it's overdue for a freshening.
      Kyle Oanes AMCA # 3046

Comment

shovelhead

I am from Saginaw Mi. I think I have a early 65 there are only four numbers after the 65FL. The speedo has 3454 on it the shocks are of duo glide stile and has lock on forks. It has the Harley rake on the triple T also the oem tires. The bike was last ridden in 96 that was the last NY. inspection and miles was written on tag at 3400.

Comment

Yes, George had talked about and posted here about putting a book together - but we haven't heard for a good long while. Don't know if he's still working that or not.

You can find some interesting info in this forum if you take the time to search and look back into the Pan Head forum we've had a fair number of posts on the '65 previous.

As far as serial numbers this might be a good thread to look at for some examples:

http://www.antiquemotorcycle.org/bbo...5-FLH-and-65FL
          Last edited by rbenash; 05-01-2011, 05:57 AM.
          Ray
          AMCA #7140

Comment

Working...
          X