Panhead Valve Springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Panhead Valve Springs

I'm ready to assemble my freshly re-man'ed early Panheads. I want to run US made valve springs, but most that I'm seeing are "high performance", in other words they feature increased seat pressures. Maybe I'm just being over-cautious but I want these heads (and valve seats) to have a long life. Any thoughts or recomendos?
    Thanks, Doug.
    Doug McLaughlin #6607
    NorCal, USA

Owning strokers, stock bikes, and restorations, my opinion is that the early panhead motor will run just fine with stock valve springs, especially if its a 1953 or later with hydrauluc lifters. The heavier springs serve to allow less valve float at higher RPM's but you most likely will not (and shouldn't) be high-revving your old pan anyway. ALso, the higher spring pressure translates to pushrod flex and increased loading on the tappet rollers, thus decreasing their life cycle.

Although some here may disagree, a simple set of Eastern (or other) stock valve springs should do just fine. If you're really a stickler and in doubt about the quality of the new springs that you're installing, just check the compression loading prior to assembly. Outer springs should be 105 to 115 lbs at 1-3/8" spring height and Inner springs are 20 to 30 lbs at 1-3/16".
    Last edited by billpedalino; 04-22-2011, 03:12 PM.
    Bill Pedalino
    Huntington, New York
    AMCA 6755

Comment

Yep, that's what I was gettin' at, is I think stock springs will be fine. Just need to find where to get some, and I want American made stuff! Several people have said "Eastern", apparently they are a wholesaler? Not too many shops out here in the sticks, any of 'em can order from Tedd, and so can I, but I want parts I can trust.
      Doug.
      Doug McLaughlin #6607
      NorCal, USA

Comment

Doug,
        Call Baisley and see what they say........503-289-1251

Rod

Comment

Working...
        X