Single Rivet HD Half Moon Boards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Single Rivet HD Half Moon Boards

Curious from 65 owners expecailly but anyone in general that can tell me when HD made the move to single rivet on the half moon floorboards. I've always understood that '65 was the last year for the half moon boards and am trying to figure out when HD actually implemented the move to eliminate the outer rivet on the floor board braces. I have a set of NOS HD boards that have single rivet braces. I also have a replacement NOS footboard brace with the single hole that was in an envelope with the pre AMF lable as well as some photos of single rivet half moon boards with the HD sticker on them.

At some point HD went to tacking that area instead of using the rivet. Wondering when they started that. I'm just assuming right now that they did it during the '64-'65 production year and then in spares stock as well.

Maybe some '65 owners can check the boards on their bikes, that would be interesting.

These seem to be pre-AMF to me in that they are dipped not sprayed?

Bottoms

Tops

Here's post AMF (sprayed), also with glued on pads.

AMF Foodboard.jpg

AMF 2.jpg

I would need to go out to the garage loft and pull out the NOS bracket with the single hole to post a photo. Curious what others have to say in the meantime.

Interested in if single rivet boards ever found themselves on production or if they were only replacement stock.

I know that the pads became glue on at some point. The previous owner (AMCA member) of the first set had them since new and only removed the fibre laminated pads before selling me the boards. Those pads were riveted, not glued. You can see the markings from where the rivets were on the underside photo. And there were no glue traces on top of the boards.
    Last edited by rbenash; 03-25-2011, 12:51 PM.
    Ray
    AMCA #7140

AMF never produced a machine with that type half moon boards.
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Good info Chris as usual.

So you are speaking to the second set of photos as far as your statement I assume? What are your further thoughts. Curious because of the AMF sticker with the part no on it.

It makes sense since this style board was not being used on new bikes when AMF took over.

Did AMF produce a machine at all that was used to build this style of board at all, I.E. - did they produce a machine that built the two rivet style? I think you are saying that AMF/York plant never build D boards period even for spares stock.

Just AMF stick applied to single rivet boards produced in the old factory?

Is there evidence anywhere of when HD went to single rivet bracket application? What about original finish of this type of boards? Any evidence of these boards were dipped, sprayed, etc?

Just another one of those mysteries for me that might be fun to understand more about.

Do you think any of the boards in the photos are NOT HD? They all seem to be HD original boards to me - but what do I know

Really interested in what experts think/know on the topic.

With '65 there are so many cool details as far as transitional sorts of parts info like this.

Going to dig out that original bracket with factory envelope with the single hole and attach that photo this weekend if I can.
      Last edited by rbenash; 03-26-2011, 12:07 PM.
      Ray
      AMCA #7140

Comment

The AMF tag is on a replacement part made long after the Panheads demise. Replacement parts made after production often differ from production parts. I have a NOS pair of 1941-1946 replacement Knuck tanks. They are Panhead outers with a Knuck inner panel adapted to them.
        Last edited by Chris Haynes; 03-26-2011, 12:31 PM.
        Be sure to visit;
        http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
        Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
        Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Are the 1966 up boards made with one rivet or two?

Rod

Comment

Chris - yeah, definitely got you on that, I have seen it as well. So is there no eveidence in your experience document library that "single rivet bracket" boards in half moon style were EVER used or seen on production panheads?

Would be curious to know if other '65 owners have any experience with their bikes that they could share as well.

Rod - I have a set of '66/later boards that are two rivet. But I have talked to folks who say that '66 production parts on their bikes were single. I've also talked with '65 owners who said their last hear half moon boards were single rivet and were dipped like the first pair of photos in my post.

Would like to get to the bottom of that whole thing. Wondering if any single rivet board either half moon or D styles were post production spares replacement only. At some point the spare for the bracket came with a single rivet hole which would suggest anyway that production boards either half moon or D were being put on at assembly with a single rivet. I'll post that pic of the single rivet replacement bracket tomorrow.

If Robbie sees this post he may have some input as he worked HD dealer for a good long while.
            Last edited by rbenash; 03-26-2011, 05:49 PM.
            Ray
            AMCA #7140

Comment

Working...
            X