panhead exhaust port repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• panhead exhaust port repair

Does anyone have experience panhead exhaust repair. I have a pair of heads with
    shovelhead exhaust ports added and I want to cut these off and fix them back to panhead.
    any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Craig

Arno St. Denis 301-779-0438 Maryland or Don Sullivan At Hog Head 330-948-9938 Ohio
    AMCA #3149
    http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

Thanks Robert.

Comment

I actually would like to fix these myself along with the help of a machinist friend of mine who is also a member of AMCA.
        We were seeking factory dimensions for the OD of the exhaust spigot and any tips on best welding method to use.
        Thanks again for any advice.
        Craig AMCA #7248

Comment

If it were me, I would get the best set of panhead header pipes I could find and use the i.d. as my standard for the exhaust spigot. It has been my experience with Pans that the exhaust spigots are always too small for the header pipes and I always get sooty black leaks that make the heads look terrible. You have the opportunity to make the spigot fit the pipe and that is usually not a viable option.
          Eric Smith
          AMCA #886

Comment

Kibblewhite has machined replacements that work well. Best welded with T.I.G inside and out. You will need a good die grinder and an assortment of burrs and files to dress the weld area if you are looking for a finish that doesn't stick out.
            Kyle Oanes AMCA # 3046

Comment

Eric,
              Thanks for your input....you make a really valid point. I have experienced this also.
              I am building a 49 pan now for a lower budget rider but I have had a couple of other pans...a 48 61ci (my first Harley in 1967) and a 50 74 ci that I own now and have ridden for over 20 yrs. and the rear exhaust pipe doesn't tighten very well at the head.
              I was born in 49 and always wanted a 49 pan and this one kinda fell in my lap. Also a good excuse to put together another pan. This 49 will be pretty stock but not a show bike. One without a lot of accessories and just fun to ride. It will remind me of my late teens when my friends and I could find old pans & knuckles that had been sitting for years and could be bought for less than $150.00 and with a little work would run pretty well. sure miss those days!!!!!!!!
              Thanks again for responding,
              Craig

Comment

Thanks for the info Kyle...I will check them out.
                Craig

Comment

Working...
                X