aftermarket primary covers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aftermarket primary covers

Hi, does anyone know a source for good quality primary chain inner and outer covers? They don't have to be exact reproductions, as long as they fit.

I believe Paughco makes the best repops. I have one of the inner covers, have not installed it yet, but I see I'll have to rat-tail one of the holes that mount it to the engine case. Not too bad of a tweak.
    When an OEM outer cover is mated up to it, all ten holes are in good alignment..! That's pretty impressive, for a repop.
    However, a discerning eye will notice the repop inner--- the only way to really tell is that the threaded 'bosses' on back side of the tabs for the outer cover screws, are thinner on the repop than an original inner.

As for Paughco's outer cover, they only offer them with the inspection cover screw holes at 3:00 and 9:00, which would be correct for knucklehead, but not panheads (don't ask me what year they changed, exactly....) So to be made correct for panhead, some refabrication would be in order, and then a repaint job. Or you just live with it.......

Hope this helps....

Comment

I've used several Paughco inner and outer covers over the years, and they work well. My 51 FL has their outer cover on it now. The inspection cover screws go the wrong way, but so what? The covers fit nice and look good.
      VPH-D

Comment

I have used a few paughco inner and outer primarys. The outer is great, but if you run a 24 tooth trans sprocket you will need to relocate the splash guard in the trans side of the inner primary and the inner primary drain tube nipple needs to be moved down about 3/8" to install the drain tube. If you dont have a good original it is a good alternative but they may require a little work.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt McManus View Post
          I have used a few paughco inner and outer primarys. The outer is great, but if you run a 24 tooth trans sprocket you will need to relocate the splash guard in the trans side of the inner primary and the inner primary drain tube nipple needs to be moved down about 3/8" to install the drain tube. If you dont have a good original it is a good alternative but they may require a little work.
          Does the Paughco inner come with the splash guard in the trans side of the inner primary and the inner primary drain tube nipple? It doesn't show it in the cataloge picture.
          AMCA 26656

47EL
          47WL

Comment

Depends on which one you order If you get the replica inner primary from V-twin yu get a paughco like I described. I think you can also get them without the splash guard

Comment

I just assumed that the v-twin Replica's where not made in the USA. And that the Paughco are made in the USA. I didn't think that the v-twin replica was made by Paughco. Correct me if I am wrong. Anyways, It would be easy to add the splash guard and drain.
              Last edited by tomcat1; 01-01-2011, 05:26 PM.
              AMCA 26656

47EL
              47WL

Comment

the replica ones that you get from v-twin are paughco I know the inner still comes with its paughco sticker on the packaging

Comment

thanks for clearing that up
                  AMCA 26656

47EL
                  47WL

Comment

Working...
                  X