Speedometer experts i have a crazy one for you

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedometer experts i have a crazy one for you

Ok i just came across a speedometer for sale , but i am a bit confused its a harley davidson speedometer that has never been apart it has a face like the 57 big twin one but the giant difference is instead of a standard speedometer reading clockwise , this one reads counterclockwise meaning the 1 is on the right side 6 is at the top and so on going backwards what the hell is this off of ?

That is a speedometer for the enduro kit used on KHRM and various other owner built enduro models. It is an oddball but not unique. The part number for the whole kit is 67002-53 which includes the drive unit.
    Robbie
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Hey Robbie Thanks , what are the odds of having a picture of the whole kit or drive unit , also any idea of value on it ?

Comment

Looks like one of these:

These are some of the "oddballs" produced by Stewart-Warner for Harley over the years; including Kilometers, military spls. and Reversed.
        Gerry Lyons #607
        http://www.37ul.com/
        http://flatheadownersgroup.com/

Comment

i know where the speedo is , but what is a fair value and what does the drive unit look like because i assume without this is useless

Comment

Originally posted by 51FL View Post
            i know where the speedo is , but what is a fair value and what does the drive unit look like because i assume without this is useless
            The mounting kit is far more rare than the drive.
            Be sure to visit;
            http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
            Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
            Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

do we have pics of either chris ?

Comment

do we have pics of either chris ?
                I have it somwwhere, don't know where. The drive is the stock drive, nothing different.
                Be sure to visit;
                http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

it has a face like the 57 big twin one but the giant difference is instead of a standard speedometer reading clockwise , this one reads counterclockwise meaning the 1 is on the right side 6 is at the top and so on going backwards what the hell is this off of ?
                  A 57 speedo would have a gold lower face. I've only ever seen this speedo with a gray lower face (see attached). Does "your" speedo have a gray or gold lower face?

Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
                  The drive is the stock drive, nothing different.
                  The drive unit is a modified Corbin rear wheel drive. The stock drive is off the tranny on a K ... Perry
                  Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for posting the pics Perry. My scanner is not working so all i can do is take photographs of pictures, poor at best! Isn't the rotation only reversed due to the cable spinning backwards from a normal set-up? That is the way I understand it.
                    Robbie
                    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by Rub View Post
                      Isn't the rotation only reversed due to the cable spinning backwards from a normal set-up? That is the way I understand it.
                      Robbie
                      Yes that's right. Internally several things are changed in the speedo to handle the cable spinning opposite the usual rotation (hairspring flipped over, gears to drive the odometer are cut "backwards", etc.). I'm not sure why they didn't use the existing speedometer drive as Chris suggested, then they could have just used a regular big twin speedo. They offered such a kit for the 165 (part number 67177-54, see attached).

As an aside the old Corbin speedos are a really clever design, cable rotation doesn't matter. Everything works as expected regardless whether the cable is spinning clockwise or counterclockwise ... Perry
                      Attached Files

Comment

I'm not sure why they didn't use the existing speedometer drive as Chris suggested, then they could have just used a regular big twin speedo.
                        Perry,
                        I believe it was an attempt to have more accuracy as any gearing change would affect the tranny driven one. My parts list shows three different gear sets for different size tires. Since it was being used for timed events they tried to get it as close as they could.
                        67195-54 gears set for 4:00-19 tire
                        67196-54 for 4:00/4:50-18 tire
                        67197-54 for 3:50-18 tire.
                        Robbie
                        Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

It is a racing speedometer that was designed to be used with a Corbin drive (like an Indian). I had a NOS one but traded it to J. Naperiela (sp?) for a restored 48-52.

Joe

Comment

What do you guys think a fair offer is for this ? and does anyone have a spare drive and cable they are willing to part with

Comment

Working...
                            X