1962 pan hard to start after running for time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1962 pan hard to start after running for time

I have a 1962 pan that starts and runs great but once you shut it off it will not start until the engine is cold . can anyone give me a helping hand.

That's a tough one without being there to do any troubleshooting, but here goes. Start by checking for spark, if your running the stock dual point coils they have a habit of breaking down, heat cause some weird things to happen to electrical stuff. If you got spark pull the plugs and with a syringe or a small diameter hose or a squirt can or something put a little raw fuel right in the cylinders, put your plugs back in and wires on and try kicking again and see if it lights or at least coughs. There's only three things required to fire, spark/correct timing, fuel/correct ratio and compression, take away one and no fire. Hope that helps a bit.

Comment

Sailfish!

Vacuum leaks suck. They can be tiny enough to let the motor start easy when cold, but then they get bigger when everything expands.

So I suggest starting with a soapy water pressuretest upon your manifold assembly: http://virtualindian.org/11techleaktes.html

If no bubbles form after a minute, then we can go on to other things.

(And with a Panhead, it is also a good idea to test the pan cover screws over each intake port, just in case..)

Modern fuels swells and eats common O-rings, so they should be changed regularly.ORINGS.jpg
      (JAMES Viton o-rings are sitting in my jar of gas for a year with only the slightest of swelling.)

I would encourage you to test any fresh assembly as well.

Good luck!

....Cotten
      Last edited by T. Cotten; 10-03-2010, 08:58 PM.
      AMCA #776
      Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Along with all the other good tips you've received, insure that the point GAP is correct, on both of the points. Use the H-D manual and follow it PRECISELY in timing your dual-point timer. You have two timing marks, two break locations, two coils. Double the fun! As they run, points wear the fiber wiper, even if you keep the point cam well-greased, slowly closing the gap. They'll still run, and start cold, but they will do what you describe as they gradually wear closer and closer. I was repeatedly left with a bike that wouldn't restart after filling at gas stops, until I figgered it out. My riding companions were getting tired of giving me a push off to bump-start the old Flathead, and it was only close points that wouldn't start HOT.

You learn quickly why owners since often threw the early-60s dual point timers away and installed the earlier and later single-point, "wasted spark" timers in their motors (a drop in), timed off the front cylinder mark only. Harley saw the light and went back to wasted sparks after only a couple of years of mechanics/owners/dealers frustration.
        Gerry Lyons #607
        http://www.37ul.com/
        http://flatheadownersgroup.com/

Comment

I’m betting it’s a vacuum leak. I suffered with the problem of hot starts for quite a while until I trained myself to test for leaks at the first signs of hard starting when hot. I’m pretty well stuck with using Shell fuel in my area and for the past four years the manifold rubber bands have failed on me each year. The fuel dries them out and they crack though. Now I’m just in the habit of changing them every spring. A surprisingly small leak will affect hot starts in a big way.
          ------------
          Steve
          AMCA #7300

Comment

Are you running solids or hydraulic lifters? If your valve adjustment is a little tight it will make hot starting hard too.

Comment

Sailfish,
              My 60 likes a wide open throttle when HOT. Just be quick when it starts. It always starts.
              Mike
              Mike

Comment

thanks for all the great help thats what i will be doing this weekend thanks again for the help

Comment

My 54 can be moody to do a hot start. one day its fine, the next, its stubern and wont start, especially if there are any spectators. I found tho, best to boot it over a coupla times to stir up the fumes I guese and give er some fresh air with the throttle partly open and it explodes to life. I think thats why the highway patrol in the 50's just let em idle ready to make chase. There is one consideration never mentioned but only my theory. When the engine is shut down hot, the carb is sitting between two hot cylinders like a hot stove, so where is the fuel in the manifols and venturi gonna do but vaporize and escape, drying the carb out I think... Notice that if you shut it off hot it will start right away but get difficult after "cooking off" for ten or so minutes. My experience and opinion only. An OHV V-Twin exciting feature I supose........Joe
                  Joe AMCA# 3435

Comment

Working...
                  X