Help with ID on Panhead Tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with ID on Panhead Tank

I need some help determining if a right tank I have is real or repop. It's a RIGHT tank and looking at the recess on the bottom, it's for a Panhead. The curious thing is the fuel line nipple at the front on the bottom. As you probably know, the location of this nipple was changed between Knucklehead and Panhead tanks. It was moved outward away from the frame an inch or so on Panheads. This tank has the nipple in the Panhead location, however there is also a "ring" stamped into the tank in the knucklehead location. Almost like the stamping could be used to put a nipple in either the Knuck or Pan location. Are these repop or was that a 1948 transition feature?
    Mark Masa
    Mark Masa
    www.linkcycles.com

Here are some pics of the tank. Looks factory to me. Are these early 1948 Pan Tanks?

Mark Masa
    www.linkcycles.com

Comment

Mark My guess is that they are early 1948 but I have never seen these tanks on an original bike. I currently have a set on the wall and sold another set a few years ago. If you look closely it is not just a dimple - it is a welded in patch. I wonder if HD found out by accident that the nipple needed to be moved outward.

Jerry

Comment

Working...
      X