Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 65 seat post

seat post is stuck or broken,can't get rod&springs out ,anybody have ideas

I have a frame in the basement that has a stuck seat post. The bottom locknut is off and the post will not pull out. The HD restoration guide page 67 describes how to remove a stuck lock nut but not a stuck seat post. I'll get to mine hopefully one of these days... . Good Luck with yours, 46EL

Comment

Try pouring some penetrating oil in and then tapping the frame tube to let it soak in. Walk away and let it work its way in. Come back tap it again and pour some more in and tap it again. Continue that for about a week and the try to spin the post. If it doesn't spin continue soaking and tapping. You just have to be patient and persistent.

Comment

That's some good advice right there, patience is the key. I did a similar thing on my pan but still ended up turning it out with veins popping in my forehead!!!
        Cory Othen
        Membership#10953

Comment

Heat up the tube with a heat gun before putting on the penetrating oil, the heat helps draw the oil in. I would also turn the frame upside down for this, It's most likely stuck fast down toward the bottom where the tube stiffeners are rather than up top at the bushing.
          Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

I did all the oil stuff and heat, then attached a slide hammer to the top and out she came.
            John Underwood
            AMCA#14400
            Central Illinois

Comment

It wasn't a '65,
              but once I encountered a swingarm frame where the post had been pinned at the bottom of its travel with a sawed-off bolt through the zirque hole, on purpose!

Even the wrong zirque installed could cause damage if the post is forced out.

....Cotten
              AMCA #776
              Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
                It wasn't a '65,
                but once I encountered a swingarm frame where the post had been pinned at the bottom of its travel with a sawed-off bolt through the zirque hole, on purpose!

Even the wrong zirque installed could cause damage if the post is forced out.

....Cotten
                Tom, my 65 was like that, the original owner was a short legged guy and this must have benifited him, but it sure looked stupid when nobody was on the bike
                John Underwood
                AMCA#14400
                Central Illinois

Comment

stuck seat post removal

I posted about a stuck 65 seat post back in sept. Finally got it out!! Maybe this info . will help others. It was rusted solid about 4" from bottom.I first hooked a slide hammer to the plunger,hooked it to an engine hoist to take up slack,3 hits with the slide hammer broke the top off the spring rod,after the plunger was out I fished out the top cushion spring.I made a die fit into a 3/4 deep socket, welded a long 3/8 ext. to it, threaded the rod down in the seat post filled it w/ blaster let it soak for days , then made a puller to connect to threaded rod ,would not budge.Then tried a heat induction unit my buddy has,It heated up seat tube great but did't work either.Last try I made a long 1 1/8 holesaw by cutting of top part and welding 2 pcs to a pc of 1'' conduit, machining the welds down and reducing conduit o.d by .050 because after first try it was sticking on lower seat post bushing. Carefully drilled w/large 1/2 drill & holesaw to bottom of seat post tube while removing bits at a time. attatched some pictures of tools.Did all this while bike was still together. Good luck it will work.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                  X