hard to kick over - why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hard to kick over - why?

64 flh, stock pistons, stock cam, linkert, running dual points. this is a strong motor, it seems to be timed right (motor runs great, plugs have a lot of miles on them and are good color), bike loves to move on the highway. it's just one of those bikes that takes a lot to kick over, but why?

friend has mentioned that maybe - maybe - there is too much oil sitting in the bottom and that is creating extra drag on the flywheels. does this sound possible, and what could be causing it? someone else said maybe bad check valve in the oil pump, but another person said possible that the "plumbing" isn't working correctly and the oil is not being routed out of the cases efficiently (breather valve issue? do they get clogged or gummed up?). volume of oil coming out of primary drain vent is what you would expect and the overall oil consumption is normal.

please give me some thoughts/ideas. we pulled the plugs and kicked it and it goes through very easily, but once the plugs are in it's serious compression. thanks!

Did it just recently start to feel this way? Have you checked your valve adjustments? From what you’ve stated it doesn’t sound like an oil pump problem to me. One last question. When you say its tough to kick over, what are you comparing it to?
    ------------
    Steve
    AMCA #7300

Comment

I had a friend with a '68FL that had the same problem. In his case, he neglected to double, and then triple check his wrist pin keepers when he put the motor together. One of the keepers came out of his front piston and wedged between the cylinder and piston. My friend was a big guy, but it was all he could do to start that bike. It ran respectably once it started. Needless to say, the cylinder was junk when I took the motor apart. I would explore other possibilities before pulling the top end off, but you should have it on your check list as you get more desperate. Over oiling is more of a problem when the engine is running and shouldn't be a problem for starting, other than fouling plugs. I would be looking for clearance, and interference problems first, and then check for the bizarre.
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

You might check the mainshaft starter gear to see if it's 14 or 16 tooth. A 14 tooth would be harder to kick, especially if it's combined with a small motor sprocket. I've seen shorter kicker arms too.

Comment

steve - been that way since i got it 4 years ago and the guy i bought it from said the same thing. valves are good, plugs are clean/not fouled.

i say compared to everyone else who have a very easy time of kicking through when starting. everyone who kicks this one remarks on the compression and how tough it is.

thanks eric and tim. tim - i will check on that as that was a thought, too.

Comment

Cam could be off by a tooth. If it is advanced one tooth, it would really raise the dynamic compression. Just a thought.
            Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

OK, so when you going to breakdown and bring that beast over here?

I got the time right now, it's up to you.

Give me a call, you know who this is.

J
              Last edited by 45knuck; 09-17-2010, 06:29 PM.

Comment

okay, neighbor!! you are a very generous man - and good looking, too!

Comment

You need to get some glasses bud.

I am vacation for a couple of weeks so I got time.

Ribs are OK, not completely healed but close, lung is good. Made the ride to Sterling but was bit sore when we got back. Bike was OK no problems only problem was the idiot that almost made it twice in one year.

I'll tell you the rest when I talk to you.

J
                  Last edited by 45knuck; 09-17-2010, 07:53 PM.

Comment

Couldn't have a pair of over-bored 61" cylinders on it could it?
                    Robbie
                    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

You did'nt mention any detonation issues. If the kicker ratio and the motor spkt. are not the problem I would do a compression test with the motor at operating temp. If you are getting close to 160 psi or more that will cause the symptom you described.
                      Also do the hydrolic lifters clatter any at first start up? Late opening intakes will do the same thing.
                      Kerry AMCA # 15911

Comment

cylinders are correct to best of my knowlege - bluesrider has seen them and would have popped me in the head if he thought they were wrong.

have not noticed any lifter noise on startup, but will check that too along with compression.

thanks everyone for good ideas to consider.

Comment

Yes the cylinders are correct. Suspecting the pistons that were recently replaced as well as the kicker gears. No detonation the last time I rode it but the pistons have been replaced by someone else since.

Yo Surfer, I have the compression tester and all the tools and machines we need, you get the gears and kicker gasket.

J

Comment

Working...
                          X