Ugly Contest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ugly Contest

Meet my 35,000 mile reeking, peeling, Pan heads. Half the D-ring screw holes are stripped. The exhaust spigots were so worn when the motor was rebuilt, that the garage mechanic and I thought the previous owner had removed the 1-1/2" original spigots and welded on 1-1/4" spigots! I had to have s/s shim stock welded into the headers to make any kind of seal. Oil would leave the rear head and run down the seat post. Ruined a perfectly excellent yellow corduroy shirt I was wearing once. Blasted the sleeves with oil. Had to cut the sleeves off that shirt. This set of heads will be re-worked by Accurate Engineering, Dothan, Alabama - some day. But they went some miles for me, over hill and dale. They were great heads. Leaded valve seats too. Used Marvel oil additive. They would still run today, but I have another set that Accurated restored for me. Putting them on this weekend. My motor NEVER-EVER failed to start, and I found that I had 0.020" clearance on the timer's spacer/ thrust washer instead of the maximum 0.008" allowed. I can hardly wait to see how ugly the valve seats are going to look. Hmmm...doesn't look very impressive at this small size. It looks so filthy at full screen it would put grease on your keyboard.
    Attached Files
Working...
X