Drifting Timing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drifting Timing

I've put about 4k miles on my 64FLH since I got her up and running this spring. The motor is stock and runs great with the Linkert. The motor rebuild was done by Accurate Engineering. The only persistent problem is with my dual points breaker. I set up the timing on both points and it runs and starts perfect. After about 800 to 1000 miles, my rear cylinder starts to smoke upon starting. At about 1200 miles she gets to be a pain to start and when I check the timing, the rear cylinder is always advanced. I re-adjust the points and the process repeats.

What could cause my timing to drift? I checked my breaker bearings and there is no noticeable runout. I'm still on hold for Ed's new dual point Quickstart module, so I need to figure this out before my next trip.
    Thanks

[QUOTE=scoot;98486]
    What could cause my timing to drift?

Wear on the rubbing block on the points.
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Harley used to sell a high speed grease in a small tube that I used on the cam lobe to slow down the wear on the fiber block on the points. That would get at least a couple thousand miles before you had to adjust the points . When the block wears your point gap changes and also changes the timing.
      Electronic ignition eliminates that problem.
      Jim

Comment

I used to be able to buy the points grease in a box of 50 or so from Napa, came in little pellets. They used to come with new points, now the parts people just stare in confusion You use it on points, really, I've never even seen points before

Comment

I looked for that grease last time I set up the points with no luck. I did find some felt wicks that fit over the fiber block and I saturated them with some 60w. It seemed to get a few more miles before the timing became an issue again, but not much more.
          Does anybody make a 6v dual point ignition similar to quickstart2000?

Comment

Sorry to break into your thread, but does anyone have a source or an alternative grease they use?

Comment

There is a very informative topic on drifting timing in the Panhead forum of the Hydra Glide site. In this case it involves both cylinders retarding due to the distributor spiral drive gear moving (or slowly drifting) on its boss of the timing gear, retarding the timing slow bits at a time. Since its only pressed on with no key and just simply old iron by now. Very interesting, something I have never seen before and is a good piece of info to be aware of.......Joe
              Joe AMCA# 3435

Comment

Harley Hi-Temp Grease

Neil74,

Harley's Hi-Temp Grease, 99862-72, which is used on the cam lobe for the points is obsolete but still available at many dealers in at least 45 states. If you need to find one close to you, let me know.
                Bruce Keith
                AMCA #1467

Comment

Thanks Bruce, the part # will help alot in my searchThat was fast part found, part ordered 4 minutes
                  Last edited by Neil74; 07-15-2010, 12:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X