58 serial numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 58 serial numbers

Did the 58 FL, FLH, FLF, and FLHF use consecutive numbers with the letter prefix just changing as in FL 2037, FLH 2038 etc.? I have a 58 engine number 58FLH235x but I'm told only 195 FLH models were made. Thanks for any answers.

The 195 you are referring to is a handshift model , the FLHF is footshift but the final F does not appear on a number stamping. So unless you know the entire history of the bike from day one you cannot tell if it was built as hand or foot shift. And yes, the numbers occurred consecutively, so there is no FL 1234 and FLH 1234.
    Robbie
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thanks Rub

Thank you for the info Rub. I don't know that much about pans. I had a 66 FLH but that's different.

Comment

Same logic on the '66 and all pre-1970 Harleys. The numbers run consecutive in the engine "family" as noted. There would be no 66FL1234 and 66FLH1234.
        Lonnie Campbell #9908
        South Cackalackey, U.S. of A.

Come see us at the Tenth Annual AMCA Southern National Meet - May 17-19, 2019 at Denton FarmPark, Denton, N.C.

Visit the website for vendor and visitor information at www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com

Comment

Lonnie,
          That doesn't hold true for 1942. In 1942 you could have 42FL1234 and 42WL1234 as the W line had its own numbers.
          Be sure to visit;
          http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
          Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
          Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Actually, Chris, we are both correct. The engine "families" I refered to, which I was not clear on, relates to engine design. So, simplifying things from a manufacturing perspective, you could have consective numbers of 42E1234, 42F1235, 42EL1236, 42FL1237. You should never see a 42E1234 and a 42EL1234 - they are in the same family. You could see a 42FL1234 and a 42WL1234 and a 42UL 1234 since these are separate "families". (Sidenote - the ultimate Harley collection would be all the models in a single year with the VIN's having the same final VIN numbers- consider the possibilities!).

That leads me to 2 questions that have bugged me (on occasion, not constantly):

1> Since the 42WLA's ran over multiple years but could have been produced in a timeframe in which civilian WL's were produced, continuing the 1942 numbering sequence, does this logic apply? In other words, did the WLA's have a VIN sequence separate from the WL's or are there gaps in the WLA sequence where civilian WL's were produced? This would probalby apply only to any 42WL's.

2> Is it safe to assume that the G's (Servi-Cars) have VIN's scattered throughout the regular WL sequence since they are the same family (Little Twin Flathead)?

Thanks.
            Lonnie Campbell #9908
            South Cackalackey, U.S. of A.

Come see us at the Tenth Annual AMCA Southern National Meet - May 17-19, 2019 at Denton FarmPark, Denton, N.C.

Visit the website for vendor and visitor information at www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com

Comment

Working...
            X