oiling rear chain ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oiling rear chain ??

As I remember the rear chain got oiled when the oil in the primary case leaked onto it ...Now that I'm building a 59 pan I see thats not how it would work, part number 63591-62 is a "rear chain oiler kit" Just where does this go ?? I have the primary chain oiler and ordered the primary case drain pipe &fitting ,but no clue on the rear chain oiling kit...
    Neil

Neil,
    As I told you before, the rear chain oiler comes off the return side of the oil pump.
    Robbie
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by neilw View Post
      As I remember the rear chain got oiled when the oil in the primary case leaked onto it ...Now that I'm building a 59 pan I see thats not how it would work, part number 63591-62 is a "rear chain oiler kit" Just where does this go ?? I have the primary chain oiler and ordered the primary case drain pipe &fitting ,but no clue on the rear chain oiling kit...
      Neil
      Here is rear chain oiler pn 63591-62 mounted in a NOS '64 only inner.
      Attached Files

Comment

Here's a couple more photos of the kit and the installation drawing. Interesting that the washer was both internal and external tooth ... Perry
        Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the info .I'm getting it all figured out .
          Neil

Comment

In combination with the tin fully enclosed rear chain guard (they come up on eBay on occasion and do go for big bucks!) Harley was just about getting the chain final drive system down, and almost "maintenance free," when they went in 1965 to the aluminum primary, and finally the kevlar belt, when the technology was finally developed. Almost, "whatta shame!" That little dash-62 kit you have there reminds me of the crankcase oil return system inside the engine cases, with gravity catching what's flung off the primary chain, in this case, and directing it outside to the drive chain. Clever!

Don't mind me, I'm just just amazed at the clever innovations that rolled regularly out of the Milwaukee brick pile, many hits, some misses!
            Gerry Lyons #607
            http://www.37ul.com/
            http://flatheadownersgroup.com/

Comment

Working...
            X