50 Frame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BMH:

I have to replace the horn mount tabs on my '53 FL.

The 3-1/4" measurement that you stated; I assume its the VERTICALl distance (rather than diagonal) from the C.L. of the lower tank mount hole in the bracket (between the downtubes) to the centerline of the top hole in the horm tab? In other words, you would pass a horizontal straightedge through the tank mount hole and measure down vertically (90 degrees) from that hole's C.L. to the C.L. top horn mount hole. Do I have it right?

Thanks!
    Bill Pedalino
    Huntington, New York
    AMCA 6755

Comment

Hi all.
      The frame turned out to be a early 1948.
      A fairly nice one and an easy restorer.
      Hope Tony doesnt mind me saying.

I dont think he knows how we all thrash and nash away at night untill the correct info is laid out, so I thought I would let you know.
      Rest easy guys. Stand down. Its done.

Brian. I will email you on the 49 info.

Regards Steve
      Steve Little
      Upper Yarra Valley. Victoria.
      Australia.
      AMCA member 1950

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Pedalino View Post
        BMH:

I have to replace the horn mount tabs on my '53 FL.

The 3-1/4" measurement that you stated; I assume its the VERTICALl distance (rather than diagonal) from the C.L. of the lower tank mount hole in the bracket (between the downtubes) to the centerline of the top hole in the horm tab? In other words, you would pass a horizontal straightedge through the tank mount hole and measure down vertically (90 degrees) from that hole's C.L. to the C.L. top horn mount hole. Do I have it right?

Thanks!
        I'm sorry, I should have made that point clearer. The 3-1/4" is measured parallel to the front down tubes, from the center of the radius at the bottom of the slot on the tank mount. While the lower tank mount is a slot, it is not near long enough to get a good true vertical measurement from the horn mounts. Somewhere I have an old horn mount strap minus its horn and it has a line scribed across at the upper mount hole center line. That is my install jig.
        Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

I have what appears a 49-51 frame with flattened down tubes that has the horn mounts removed and I want to replace them. I think I understand the location from the C/L of the bottom of the lower tank mount slot to the top hole being 3 1/4". Are the blocks parallel to one another in the vertical, i.e equidistant when measured between corresponding mount holes from the block on the opposite side? Also, does the weld bead go around the entire outer edge of the block or something else?

This frame was without motor so I have no idea of the VIN or exact year.

Thanks,
          Marc

Comment

Yes they are parallel to each other. I believe all mounts on frames with the pressed flat spot were only welded at the top and bottom . An old horn strap makes a handy install jig.
            Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

Thanks Brian! Now I'll have to find an old horn bracket to remove the guesswork.

Comment

Working...
              X