58-64 Fl rear fender

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 58-64 Fl rear fender

“1958-1964 fenders can be distinguished from the later fenders by their lack of welded – on washers. These washers are found on later fenders front sections as spacers for the first holes for the fender support braces.”

Straight from Palmer’s book page 76. I have no clue what he’s saying here. Does someone have a pick of the old verses new? My sixty has weld –on washers where the shock stud go through but nothing else. The last thing I want to do is go and paint the wrong fender. Thanks, Bob l
    AMCA #3149
    http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

I'm looking at my 59 and 61 pan rear fenders .They both have welded on washers on the front part of the fenders .I mean where the fender is bolted to the fender suport arms.These spacer/washers are 1.5" o.d.and oval /sloted so you can adjust the fender up or down a bit , and welded to the outside .. BTW in my palmers book this is on page 79.. To go farther ...there are three holes on each side of the rear fender that bolts go thru to hold the fender to the suport arms .The forward set of holes (one on each side ) have the spacers I just described ,the other two holes have welded on spacers on the inside ,they are D shaped and about a inch and 5/8ths at their longest part.. Both my 59 and 61 pan fenders have these. Did you see the three big rivet heads on the hinged part as Palmer describes in the paragraph above the one you quoted? Mine have these rivets too.I think Palmer's printer has his wires crossed ,, the fenders can be distinguished from the later ones by the lack of welded on spacers is probably referring to the 65 and later fenders ..You will have to check the later fenders to be sure..
    Neil

Comment

Not sure on the welded on washers but the early fenders should not have the indentation behind the battery area that was added for electric start model clearance.
      Robbie
      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Luland View Post
        “1958-1964 fenders can be distinguished from the later fenders by their lack of welded – on washers. These washers are found on later fenders front sections as spacers for the first holes for the fender support braces.”

Straight from Palmer’s book page 76. I have no clue what he’s saying here. Does someone have a pick of the old verses new? My sixty has weld –on washers where the shock stud go through but nothing else. The last thing I want to do is go and paint the wrong fender. Thanks, Bob l
        To the best of my knowledge the welded-on-washers were on the the '58 -'64 rear fender. The distinguishing trait is the lack of the indentation or relief on the big section of the fender; to clear the electric start, '65 up had this relief. The lack of the washers on the fender is a bit of mis-information in "The Book"-Bob
        Attached Files

Comment

Thank you gentlemen. Bob
          AMCA #3149
          http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

Working...
          X