Got some ticking - where to look

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got some ticking - where to look

Have a '55 FL stock. Was riding it yesterday and it was running good. Every once in awhile the motor would start to tick. Like a loud lifter, sounded like the rear cylinder. Them it would stop. Did this a couple of times in a 100 mile trip. Checked the oil level and it was fine. When I got home I thought I would check the tappet block screen. Never did this before, so i got out my manual and went for it.

So I have a couple of questions. It appears that some of the parts are missing. Took off the cap screw, there is no gasket. There is a stretched out spring in there and not much else. Oil did come out of the opening. The bike does not leak from the sump. So I am wondering, is it possible for the screen to be missing? There needs to be a check ball I assume. In removing the parts, how do I stop the oil from coming out. Based on the help I am sure I will have more questions.

-Carl

Missing parts will of course need to be replaced. Your service manual should show a picture with a parts listing (mine does) of everything that is supposed to live in there. I take it you fished in there and made sure someone didn't try sticking a screen and spring from a late shovel head in there (which may or may not work, I don't know). The check valve they show in that assembly was intended to keep a head of oil in the lifters when they were located on top of the push rods, and if it was the only thing missing I most likely wouldn't worry about it to much. Aside from a bit of oil that dribbles out the hole from the tappet oil passages, it should not keep coming out. If it does the check valve in your pump is most likely dirty or not seating.
    Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

Thanks Brian. I was in a hurry and did not poke down in the hole. The oil was dribbling out and I did not have the time to spend working at it. I will pul all of the parts out and see for sure.

Comment

I have heard that if you run an oil filter that you do not need the tappet screen. Is that true? Also what would cause the lifters to start clicking and then stop as I was riding? I sounds like there is an oil blockage somewhere that clears up on its own. Can that be?

Carl

Comment

If You're running a stock type felt filter cartridge you definitely need the screen to keep the loose felt from clogging up the tappets. Even if its a modern paper type filter I would still use the screen if you got hydraulics, cheap insurance. As for starting and stopping of the ticking, if a piece of crud gets stuck in the lifter and causes it to bleed down it will tick. When the dirt gets flushed out the lifter will pump back up and function fine till the next piece gets stuck. Not saying this is definitely the problem but it's a good place to start. Always check the easy stuff first. If this doesn't fix it I would check the oil pressure under actual running conditions at the pump.
          Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

I have 10 of the stock felt filters and just can't bring myself to use them. I do use a modern paper filter. As I get time I will investigate further. Thanks for the help and I will report what I find. -Carl

Comment

Working...
            X