59 pan front brake cable trube.??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 59 pan front brake cable trube.??

I ordered part number 45202-50 which is the front brake cable tube that runs up the left side of the fender and is straight ,except for a slight bend down near the bottom. The Harley parts book is confusing they have 45202-50a "cable tube (handshift; all models,1968,straight) .NA 49 to 71 -FL,FLH " thats straight from the harley parts book ..I have a foot shift and a straight tube was on the bike originally. I replaced it with another straight tube ,but chromed.My problem is that I have been away from this bike for around a year and just getting back to it ,I find that the outer cable going from the top of the tube to the hand lever seems to short.It will work but seems to be stretched a tad tight .I don't remember if I shortened the tube or maybe it was the original one that I tried to shorten as it was damaged . The tube I have on now measures aproximatley 12.5 inches from the top to where the bend near the bottom starts ,I like to be sure its the right length. Anyway my questions are :
    (1) Does a 59 pan with foot shift come with the straight brake cable tube ?
    (2) if it does ,is the meaurement of 12.5 inches correct (give or take 1/4 inch or so)
    (3) where does the cable run? ( under the necK ? or over ? ) if the tube is suposed to have a bend going under the neck that would account for some pictures I have been looking at ,but none are taken at the proper angle for me to get a good look.
    Thanks ,Neil

The tube on the 59 and earlier models is straight, and comes up almost to the bottom of the neck. The cable runs from the lever over the handlebar and down the left side of the neck to
    the tube/adjuster.
    VPH-D

Comment

Thanks VPH-D

Comment

It turns out that my problem was that the cable housing was off a 1961 which came with the curved brake cable tube ,and the 59 outer cable housing is longer.I just ordered another housing and inner cable from antique cycle ,they come way to long so you can use them on custom prodjects too.You just cut em to length..
        Neil

Comment

Make sure that you have the 45207-49 tube seat installed in the backing plate before you screw the tube in.
          Be sure to visit;
          http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
          Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
          Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Working...
          X