Panhead valve lift

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Panhead valve lift

I am rebuilding my '51FL motor and just checked the intake valve lift which is at .220". Does this sound about right for a stock cam? I am also curious about different grinds and would like to get some real world opinions. I'm not interested in high performance and put more value on reliability and economy. Thanks.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Are you measuring lift at the cam, or lift at the valve? Panheads have a 1.5 to 1 rocker ratio, so any measurement at the lifter has to be multiplied by that factor.

.220 * 1.5 = .330, so that doesnt seem right.

Stock FL cams were about .235 at the cam and .352 at the valve. FLH cams are about .270 at the cam and .405 valve. An FLH cam will work well, but you MUST check the valve travel to ensure the valve retainers don't bottom on the guides, and run FLH springs. The springs are heavier wire, but fewer windings than FL springs..

Comment

I was checking the cam lift at the lifters and it was approximately .220-225 for both intakes and apprx. .230 for the exhaust. I haven't checked the valve lift yet because I may want to rework the rocker blocks. Great information Tim, Thanks.
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

Eric, sounds like an EL cam to me. They should have 0.224" of cam lift. Is it marked? Is it a single piece, or is the gear pressed on?
        Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

The gear is pressed on Brian. I didn't see a mark. I have another cam which I intend to compare to this one. I've had this motor for many years and I believe it had never been into, and certainly never rebuilt, when I first acquired it. However, it did have a chrome gear cover so it's possible the cam could have been changed out. It's always been a strong runner, and very predictable and dependable.
          Eric Smith
          AMCA #886

Comment

The other cam has a lift of .240" which sounds more in line with what what Brian and Tim are saying is a FL cam. I think I'll give it a try since they're easy enough to change out if I don't like it. Thanks for the replies.
            Eric Smith
            AMCA #886

Comment

I was curious, I have never seen a two piece EL cam before. I know the FL cams switched to a pressed on gear in 51. Never new for sure if that applied to the El's as well.
              Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

Working...
              X